:) I love sweets, chocolate, anything like this.
I let myself have a taste of anything I really want, as long as it's tiny bit and then compensate with 1-2 Units insulin. For example sometimes I would have a bite from so else's piece of cake, 1-2 biscuits or a small cookie.
I'm just curious whether others do this as well?
What's your policy on sugary foods? Total NO or more flexible?

Views: 1507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course..a cookie..or share a piece of cake..but I'm from the Netherlands..and I've seen the cookies and pies in the US..and I would have to say no to your cookies..ha ha..they are huge and very sweetened..one bite is enough..

Yes, but depends on the cookie. However, like acidrock, I've more of an issues with Doritos and such. By the by....rules are made to be broken....so there!!!

Yes, because I'm just too neurotic to handle the deprivation! Mostly, it's chocolate, and it's got to be GOOD. Unlike my husband who will eat--and finish--anything, I'll often stop after the first bite, deciding, "it's not worth getting fat[ter] over."

We have the most wonderful chocolate cupcakes where I work, but I think I'm going to have to give them up. I have tried increasing the bolus (surely it can't be more than 80 grams of carbs?!?) and working on the timing, but nothing seems to cover it. Oh well. Guess it's time to say it's not worth spiking over.

Uh, yes to cookies. Are you crazy? I am a cookie-aholic.

I have recently discovered that cake should almost always be a no :( BUT... I'm ok as long as I can have a cookie now and then!

...no, I always decline politely.

Do eat low-calorie plain biscuits though ...an element of self-disipline and living off rations, this diabetes thing for me!

Hi Lots. Baby carrots and celery allow one to have a bit of dip -- for us, it's dill dip (sour cream, etc.) and guacamole. I can easily convince myself that it's all healthy! As for chocolate chip cookies -- big problem.

I've always eaten anything I want and just balance it out with insulin. Even the protein from a steak has to become glucose before the body can use it for energy. There's nothing I can understand about not eating sweets as far as diabetes goes.

Unfortunately I took that too far. I was using a cane for a couple of years because of a sore hip. I noticed that between the chocolate sales at the (amazing) supermarket in my area, the hip would start to feel better.

It took about the fourth time before I thought I should start cutting out sugar. Did that and don't even use the cane. The hip is still very slowly improving. I mentioned it to the doc and he said 'less sugar, less inflammation.' That was news to me, but there is something nasty about sugar somewhere.

Sometimes I have ice cream, but other than that I stick to low-carb desserts. I am learning to bake low-carb so I can have something sweet whenever I want without bolusing for it or stressing about BG spikes. I hate the uncertainty of bolusing for high carb food, but I also hate the idea of having strict rules, so it all depends on how I feel at the time...

We were daring.....

To fairy floss or not?

I keep strict carb counts I don't deviate from - but I'd still say yes to something sweet if it is really good. But the rest of my meal would be just salad and protein, and I'd trade my usual sweet potato or beans for the sweet.

Sure but I hate myself in the morning.:-)

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE a soft chewy chocolate chunk caramel cookie with pecans (lust), but.....would pretty much have to be followed with a cigarette.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service