I'm an Indian who was born and raised in the US. When I got diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, my aunt and uncle told me to do certain yoga moves, which would cure me. I was, and still am, skeptical about that claim.

Apparently, yoga is supposed to stimulate the pancreas, which will increase bring back beta cells. My logic is that Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, so the root problem isn't the pancreas but the immune system.

Now my dad's friend's son is 6 and has Type 1. The friend says his son's insulin usage has decreased from 20 units/day to 14 units/day. I mark that up to yoga actually being exercise and the fact that his son is still growing, which could lead to different insulin usage.

What do you guys think?

Here's the link for a DVD they say I should get

http://www.swamiramdevyoga.com/dvd-for-diabetes/index.html

Tags: cure, yoga

Views: 2605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tai Chi, Hatha Yoga, QiGung/Chi Gung all are practices, arts none of which recommend any practice before bed. At best they get the heart rate up, the respetory system going faster. As such they'll raise the body temperature which is the opposite of what you want to do if you wish to get any sleep.

Early evening, early morning, organs get twisted, the body turns those organs on, gets muscles working and activates them to function just a little more than their usual state. Blood flow increases. There is a good reason early morning are recommended, as is early evening... practice is cooler, more comfortable than in the high heat of the midday sun/humidity.

Neither is even close to a cure, or there would be a huge line to every guru, every shifu on the plane who taught any of them. Keep hoping to find one though... if she/he can cure it for me, I will become family and never leave their side -lol-
I agree with your more logical explanation. Also, at 6, the child is probably going through growth changes, as well as periods during which his pancreas is still producing some of its own insulin, which would explain the changes in doses. Also, a change from 20 to 14 units per day is not that remarkable (IMO), especially for a 6 year-old. Most physical activity also decreases insulin requirements, so that could also explain it. Not that yoga is going to hurt anything, but it certainly will not CURE T1D!
Yoga certainly cannot cure Type 1 diabetes, or surely I would have been cured! I have been avidly practicing yoga for 17 years--I started about 6 months before I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Often, in yoga books I see this reference to poses squeezing the pancreas to exude more insulin, but of course for those of us with Type 1 no amount of squeezing will do any good, when beta cells have been destroyed by an autoimmune attack. But I can say for certain that a vigorous yoga practice lowers blood sugar a lot (I turn my pump down by 70% or more for a vigorous class), and I can also say that my yoga and meditation practice has helped me survive the drudgery that is the daily grind of diabetes.
I'd do anything to wake up my pancreas to produce beta cells & protect them from further autoimmune attack, but alas yoga isn't the answer. It's wonderful exercise that you might enjoy.
I found hot yoga was great for lowering my blood sugar, but it worked too well a few times. I tried going in with no insulin in my system which backfired. Hot room + high blood sugar = nap time. So yeah, it's great exercise, but it's no cure.
Hello Samantha:

Whats YOUR take on that??? More circulation carried it (insulin) along faster, purchased a free fall crash and burn routine?
Any pattern to the highs re: asana (postures) being "causal"?

Stuart

Had similar experience to Samantha. Don't know why it does that. Also have found some activities just have a greater effect on sugar levels. Like golfing for instance. I can walk a lot, love to walk and do it often without any issues, but when golfing, sugars drop hard and fast. Have no idea why!!! Bowling has had the same effect. Wierd!!!

So apparently no one has "cured" themselves with yoga. I believe it could be part of a therapy towards cure. For me yoga became too hard because my sugars dropped dramatically while doing it, going way too low. I didn't stick with it long enough to figure out how to do it better. But when something like that can have such a dramatic affect on a sugars it sure must have some value!!

As Steven Tyler sang "Dream On". The only cure for type one diabetes at the moment is to stop taking your insulin, That way you can completely rid yourself from life and the disease for good.I know its sick but its crossed mind many times.

I hear you, but reject your reality! I understand there isn't a cure yet, but that was true at one time for many conditions that now have a cure. Why not me, why not in my lifetime? I have just as much chance of stumbling upon a cure as anyone. At least I am trying. How will we ever know if we don't anyway?

I will continue to dream of finding a cure. You can go on dreaming that there won't be one. That is your choice. I will choose to seek an answer to this, though. Dreams can and do become reality!!

No disease has ever been cured. Improved treatments & sometimes prevention, but, to date, there are no cures for any chronic disease.

I wish & hope for future generations that prevention is possible & one day a cure.

Clearly this issue is up for debate...

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/rare/12-deadly-...

However, whether you believe you can or cannot, then you are right!
I will continue to believe I can!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service