You may have read the news from the Lab of Dr. Faustman last week:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/news-from-faustman-lab-study...

This week, it turns out she is in the Bay Area and we will have an opportunity to interview her and capture the interview on video. I wish it could be a video-chat session, but we're going to catch up with her before she flies back east.

So, the next best thing is:
What are your questions for Dr. Faustman. We will be interviewing her Thursday first thing, so I need you to please send in your questions by the end of Wednesday at the very latest.

Tags: faustman, research

Views: 1649

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Will she be looking at those of us with LADA? Will we be able to participate in the studies? Will the vaccine work on us?

I'd like to know if the treatment proves unsuccessful can I have all my donation money back? All kidding aside, my main question is being I am nearing forty years with diabetes do you feel its crucial for me to be involved with the treatment in the near future for it to have a chance to work for me or it likely wouldn't make a difference at this point anyway?

Two great questions. Keep 'em coming!

I have two questions.
1) Are there type 1's who are C-peptide negative even with the more sensitive test?
2)Will BCG work in diabetics who have insulin antibodies only?

Good ones.

I haven't seen much data from her studies. I'd like to know the difference in C-peptide pre and post-treatment.

Fair enough! Another great question.

One of my questions is that same as @Gary, as I'll have had type 1 for 40 years this coming September.

I know they're starting work on Phase 2 trials. Has she an estimate for how long it will take to complete those, and how long after that before we see the results? I'm guessing it will be around 2015 for the results, but I'm hoping it's before then.

Besides fund-raising is there anything else we can do to help move this research forward?

Thanks, Bernard! I was thinking of asking her that (about ways to help her) too. :)

Would the treatment help with other autoimmune diseases?

I wonder about this one too. My daughter has T1, Hashimoto's & vitiligo. She participated in the Defend 2 trial for otelixizumab, which tried to extend the honeymoon period. The trial doc said if it worked, it might also help the thyroid. So would this have the same potential?

I asked Dr. Faustman's assistant Nick about this. My daughter was recently dx'd with Grave's disease - like Hashimoto's, except hyperthyroidism instead of hypothyroidism like Hashimoto's.

Both diseases are autoimmune in nature, and Nick replied that they were specifically targeting both those conditions. I'm sure it will be a different protocol, but they should gain a lot of good info from this intitial trial with the BCG.

Tom

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service