HI There, This is Chuck Heidenreich up in Takoradi, Ghana. I am a missionary serving here for the past five years and loving Africa. You can semore about whatwe do at www.teamheidenreich.org

In addition I run Invisapump from here at www.invisapump.com

I am interested in finding out how you get any pump supplies and the type of insulin you can get in other parts of Africa.

Oh yes.. we are hosting the CAN 2008 football tournaent in January.... Go Black Stars!!!

Chuck

Views: 119

Replies to This Discussion

Although I don't live in Africa I am curious to know how preveland is Diabetes in Africa. Like you I have lived with this disease for 48 years and still counting. I have chatted with people from around the world but never Africa. I understand that some people in other countries don't have access to computers. For those countries I am curious what if any stats there are regarding Diabetes.
I find it interesting that you carry on missionary work and live with Diabetes, to that I say I applaude you! How do you manage your lows in such a warm climate? I don't know about you but in the summer months I have trouble with lows and have to adjust my basal rates.
Betty,

If you do any google searches you will find that diabetes is not EPIDEMIC in Africa. Much is attributed to western foods and living. Here in Ghana diabetics go to the hospital daily just to get a blood sugar test, then return home. No one has blood meters except the hospitals, and even if the people had them they couldn't afford the strips. I am blessed to have some supplies, although my health insurance just dropped me so I am out of luck for supplies now. I usually just try and educate people the best I can when I meet them.

I treat lows mostly via an ever present Coke.

check my webpage www.teamheidenreich.org to see more about what we do.

God Bless,

Chuck
I MEANT.. DIABETES IS NOW EPEDEMIC IN AFRICA!

Chuck
I'm aware that Diabetes is a global epedemic. Living with Diabetes is no walk in the park. I'm sorry to hear that you are not covered by health insurance, kind of ironic isn't it. You're in a country that people with Diabetes and other chronic diseases have no health insurance.
I also educate others when I meet someone with Diabetes. Here in the states, at least in the east where I live Type 2s are not receiving the education that should be given. Once in a while I do meet people who are aware of self-management and are using it. I don't know what I can do to help those who live with Diabetes in Africa but if there is let me know.
Hi, I have had diabetes for over 35 years. I have done some research on Africa in the area of DRC because I am a student at a university. I was wandering as well does Diabetes show up a lot in Africa? Not like they have enough problem just trying to get supplies to the civilians while all the war conflict that is going on in the Congo area. It terrible that you lost your insurance was it that you met your maximum allowed? just curious. Also, have you heard any good news in Congo about the dispute between Nkunda and Kabilia? We had a few resolutions that passed at the African Union and is being sent to Washington DC for approval.
Dear Debbie,

Thanks for being in touch. I am in Ghana, W. Africa and we have our problems here, especially now with our elections, but not like Congo. We have churches there, and missionary friends who were recently visiting the churches there but I haven't been there personally. The AU needs to do more to solve its own problems and support it with it's own personal. That is just my opinion.

I lost my insurance because the missionary insurance policy was discontinued, and because it was an international policy there is no HIPPA so they could do that. I have one now, but without pre-exisiting. So, I have received donations from peoplel of strips & supplies & will continue to pray people will continue to do that..

Where do you go to university?

Thanks for your prayers & keep posted on our website www.teamheidenreich.org and/or let me know if you want me to mail you our newsletters. God Bless, Chuck
Hi Betty I was looking at the site on Africa and saw your question. I live in South Africa and of the 49 mill we have 1,3 mill diabetics. I am T2.
I was diagnosed with Type 1 some 15 years ago. I lived in Lagos, Nigeria. Before i became diabetic, i had close to zero knowledge about the disease. When i was in elementary school- believe it or not, the taboo was that anyone with an unhealed sore must have stolen crops from neighbor’s farm. (Most people with untreated Type 1 end up with some sort of unhealed sore anyway). At 26, i went out of Africa to do a Masters degree in the UK. I came back and about a year after i came back i was diagnosed. It may have been due to my change of diet and lifestyle. I eat lots of Burgers while in the UK by the way.
I don’t know of any data, but i think if anything the number of Africans with diabetes is on the rise. Unfortunately majority are still ignorant about treatments. Even if they are aware of treatments, healthcare delivery system in most of Nigeria at least, is not capable of doing a good job taking care of diabetics. I remember when my wife will go from one end of town to another in search of Insulin for me. There was even an instance that my wife bought what we thought was insulin but alas! was actually a fake- I used it for at least 2 weeks, my BG was over 600 all that time!
My family and I eventually moved to the US 6 years ago, My A1c was if i remember over 12.
I am convinced that something terrible would have happened to me if i did not leave.
By the way I started a new group where Africans -in the Diaspora with diabetes can compare notes, find it here http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/africanthediaspora

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service