Hello- Hello!! I am very new to all this. I would like to know how you guys came to choose your pump? I am having to go to Pump Therapy in Dec and have been looking at different pumps out there. I am very active since i do have a one year old. I am also very afraid about the whole insertion of the needle/cath. Does anyone recommend one pump over another with my concerns??? Any suggestions would help!! Thank you!

Views: 445

Replies to This Discussion

I know that I can change the number of hours (not sure what the max is) but if I really am in trouble, 12 hours makes for a sensible choice. This morning, I had the same problem. I bolused (sp?) at about 7:30 last night and went to sleep at about midnight. I was preparing my breakfast and it went off at 8 AM. My BG was a bit low so I had some carbs before getting into bed. Never needed any more insulin.

On my old pump (MM) when this happened, I just confirmed that I was alive. I never had to go through part of the priming process again. This really just smells like a bad design either physical or software design.

But thanks for your comment.

Jeff

Hello! As others have said, it is a personal choice. But I will share my experience.

I chose both pumps I've used based on doctor recommendations and my own research. I started off with the OmniPod system, used it for a few years, and hated it. It didn't work for me at all, and caused me a lot of grief. I chose that based mainly on hearing about it from my old doctor, reading up on it myself, and wanting to give it a try. My new doctor was on board with me using it, so I did. It didn't work out, but I hear its changed significantly since I've been on it, so maybe its better now.

My new pump, the animas ping, was one of two pumps that my doctor recommended to me. He said it was one of the two "main players" along with the medtronic pump, I believe. The small infusion set makes this pump harder to bump it into things or tear it off, and it is generally a lot more comfortable. I really like the animas pump, though I think eventually I think I am going to go back to needles.

As far as inserting the infusion set, I would not worry about it at all. It only looks intimidating, but rarely causes any pain... Only a slight pinch. Every once in a while I'll just put mine in a bad spot and big boluses will sting a bit, but its nothing unbearable by any means. And they do stay in pretty good. The pod systems are a bit harder because they are clunky and can pull off easier, but the tubed systems have very small infusion sets which are harder to dislodge. I think I tore one off once because I was being careless. I do bump them into tables when I get up (I wear them on my tummy), but I'm a huge klutz. If you are aware of them and careful, you should hardly have any trouble at all.

I'm not very active (though I should be), but I imagine that the inset infusion sets that I use and the pump itself would not be invasive at all were I to be extremely active.

Pumps are great, and I hope you find one that fits your lifestyle perfectly. Talk to as many people as you can about what they use/recommend and talk to your doctor if he/she is up to date with pumps. I regret not getting my doctor's opinion on what pump was best earlier on, it would have saved me a lot of grief.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service