Question Regarding the "Ping" Pump and the Calorie King carb counting feature.

I am seriously considering moving from the Minimed Paridigm Pump to the Animas One Touch Ping. I appreciate all of the feedback in these forums as they have made my ddecision much easier. One question I have though is regarding the Calorie King or the carbohydrate software on the pump.

Does anyone really use this? Or is it easier just to do it your self manually?

Carb counting is a major fallback of my diabetes control. I am just wondering if this is a useful feature or not?

Thank you everyone for any feedback.

Views: 287

Replies to This Discussion

I switched from the Paradigm to the Ping last year. I really thought I would use the carb database, but I actually don't use it at all.
Are you happy with the Ping? I guess what I am asking is are you glad you made the switch from the Paridigm to the Ping?
Yes! But I think you should do all the research you can and make your own decision.
Lilli,

No doubt, I am doing that and I understand that each pump is different for each user as well.
I really like the ping...and do not use the carb software on my pump but I do use my I-phone nutrition app that has all the restaurant menus on it. It seems faster and easier to use so I stick with that. I have not used a minimed but I have to say...all the support groups I attend etc....the people I meet on the ping are happier with their pump than the minimed ones. Many minimed users are switching over as soon as they can. Thats been my observation. Enjoy the day.
Thank you very much Sneetch by the Beach.

Can you tell me what iPhone app you are using. I have the iPhone as well and have triued a couple but again, I have not really found anything I like.

I appreciate your recommendation.

Cheers !!!
Its called Nutrition Menu - is has a blue background with a fork, spoon and knife in the app button. It works well for me, you adjust the settings to see carbs, calories, fat, fiber, protein etc. What ever you want. It was a couple bucks....I can't remember exactly but worth it. Good luck!
Sneetch by the Beach,

Thanks again, I just downloaded the App and I will give it a shot.

Cheers !!!
I don't use it either. If I'm not sure I use the calorie king book that I carry in my purse. The one thing I will say about the carb database is that you can look up what the carbs are in something and add it to the database. I've read that some people do this for total meals and lable it something they relate to for easy calculations.
I thought I would use the calorie king in the meter-remote more than I actually do. I did go in and put other stuff in and delete things, but it's honestly just a lot of scrolling up and down to get to the things. I could probably add most of my stuff to a favorites category to eliminate that, but still .. I just keep the calorie king book in my purse. Right now I don't really want to get attached since somewhere in the future the dexcom will be integrated with the pump which will take away the bolusing from the meter.
Thanks Vani,

I appreciate your input. The only problem I would have doing it that way is carrying it in my purse roflmao, people may look at me a little strange :-)

That was what I was wondering though, but I gaather that if you put things in your "Favorites" that eliminates a little bit of the scrolling.

Thanks again.
I've had my Animas Ping since September of last year and really love it. I, like others, thought I would really use the data base, but find myself referring to the Calorie King book that also carry, way less buttons to push. In the beginning I used it more than now. Most of the items that I eat over and over, I just know the count in my head. I am a creature of habit when it comes to the foods that I eat, lol.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service