I've had my Ping for 2 years now and am very happy with it. Over that time I have occasionally gotten a message that my remote couldn't communicate with my pump - no biggie. But recently I've been getting that message more often than not. Any idea why or what I can do; it's getting annoying!
I get this occasionally, and I usually back up and try again, and move the meter remote a little closer to the pump where it is in my pocket. Works every time. I set mine to channel 13 years ago and it rarely interferes with other devices. I figure with the amount of wireless devices in our lives its bound to happen from time to time, and its an easy thing to workaround.
You seem to have figured it out already, and I thought I would add that switching channels is a great idea. In fact when I first started out 5 years ago, it was recommended by my CDE to change channels and find one that this error message didn't happen, as it might. I seem to remember that some channels are more commonly used than others, maybe 1 and 10 so I picked lucky number 13! lol. Anyway good luck, hope I could help.
Also, I have to change my pump batteries twice every 3 months and my remote batteries a bit less often, maybe once in 3 months, and I am sure that batteries have nothing to do with the unable to communicate error.
Yep! Changing the channel did the trick, so I recommend it, Jen. (Instructions on page 188...it's easy). I actually switched to channel 1 (from 8) but I had no error messages today and I think I was getting them pretty much all the time. So good to go! Thanks, all!
I get the can't communicate message from time to time (maybe once a week or so) with nothing consistent that I can pin it too. I back it up and then it has always communicated for me, so it has only been a minor irritation. I may look into changing the channel and see if it makes any difference.
Yes, mine was only a minor irritation when it was once in awhile, but then became really annoying when it was constant. So far the changing channel thing has worked great!
I have been getting that message too. It usually happens when I am working outside and am wearing a lot of layers of clothes. I keep my pump close to me, and there are usually several layers over it. The meter is usually somewhat cold when I test and bolus, although I do get a reading. I suspect that the environment has something to do with my problem.
That might be so! For me changing the channel definitely did the trick. That was four days ago and I've only had the problem once when I was starting to see it nearly every time I bolused!
I have been using a Ping for 4.5 years. I have also worked with professional two-way radios. What I have learned is Animas transmitters drift as do the receivers. When this gets to be a total "PITA"(proctalgia), I call Animas and after a long diagnostic chase they send a new meter/remote. On one occasion, the meter/remote swap did not work and they sent a new pump. It is all radio transmission characteristics.
The real problem is when you send a "give bolus" command from the remote, the pump sends back "I did not understand" but gives the bolus anyway. Everyone needs to verify the bolus STATUS from the pump before re-issuing a "give bolus" command from the remote.
The battery level is a basic component. I keep battery install dates in a log in my pumper emergency kit.
Wow, you must have had some other kind of problem with it, Jay, to need a new meter/remote and then a new pump! For me, changing the channel was easy and it eliminated the problem!
Yes, I have noticed that sometimes you get the "bolus not delivered, check pump" message and it was delivered in part, and sometimes in whole. I too always check the pump. I still get that occasionally but not the "couldn't communicate with the pump" since I changed the channel. (I was getting that nearly every time - occasional I don't mind!)