Hello:

Yoga in the west has a particularly physical component, somehow a cross between blissful meditation and being bent into a pretzel whilst in a sauna!!!

Given the generic context most think of the practice(s) despite the fact there indeed are many other layers, components, facets. Anybody want to chat about Yoga as relates specifically to your diabetes???

I would think given that India was a part of the British Empire for over a century, as such exposed to Western Medicine, western scrutiny-examination... one would think it had been studied and documented pretty well as to its effects upon the body...research has to have been done at bare minimum since the 60's!

Any Yogi/Yogini's here....

Stuart

Tags: diabetes, hatha, hatha-yoga, yoga

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

hmmm, you lost me at "-wg"?

I'm not sure where this studio falls (or where I do for that matter!). I enjoy yoga and practice when I can, but I see it as a hybrid of my physical and mental exercise. The focus on breathing through the asanas crosses over to the rest of life and provides balance. I think adding diabetes and the pump (and soon the cgm) is another thing to try and balance.

Anyway, Friday's class went super well! The instructor focused us on releasing our lower backs (where the pump was), so we never really lied down on our backs for class (and therefore the pump was out of the way!).

How long have you been participating in these non-western practices? What else do you do?
Hello Kate:

Lower case initials "wg" is an emoticon; a typed representation of a physical act by the typer.
So lower case initials "wg" means I'm wearing/using a "weak grin". Whereas WG would mean a HUGE weak grin (capital letters increase emphasis)

I was fortunate, long ago to encounter some serious yoga people. They were very well trained as teachers of yoga. They junior most among them were 20, 25+ year folks. They did not discuss energy in mystical ways. They stuck to the body and helped folks carefully unwind, unknor them. They understood the dynamic breathing practices too... Ujaya, kobhala bhata (however either is spelled). It was a good experience which from time to time I have pursued...

Currently without any teachers at the moment.... the yogini's retired and went back to California, (most "weeping" in frustion at failing to unwind me for years, and years -LOL- I've secretly believed)

I make my living currently teaching martial arts (Okinawan karate). My other roles, husband, father, a guy trying to figure "it" out. Ugggggh, a math question -ggg- (that's tiny grins btw) been doing this non western stuff for twenty-five years now. Sigh...

Like Yoga, but most is pretty "ouchy" when parts refuse to cooperate. One yoga teacher who I met at a talk had done it 50-60 years, and said she always hated the asanas, they "hurt" or were always, always uncomfortable. Then one day decades and decades later they finally stopped, POOF....

Looking forward to such a day myself.....
Stuart

Looking for a Yoga (hatha yoga) teacher what would be WARNING SIGNS of someone who is unskilled ???

Watched a young woman who was giving a quick demo at a community center, and all my alarms went off... she did a head stand, and gave no warnings, no instructions to the audience NOT to just do them, on their own with no supervision...

Technique is required to do it right. Shoulder stands are good idea to perfect BEFORE ever attenpting the harder head stand...

What kinds/types of things would be warning signs, of poor instruction... IYHO/IYE ???

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service