I was diagnosed type 1 about 3 years ago, started pumping about 1 year ago, and started running about 3months ago. Right now my runs are 30 min or less and i am taking my pump off completely during the run. My issue lies with eating the right amount of carbs before the run. I typically eat very few carbs all day then have to eat something completely out of my normal menu before aeven a short run. I have found that getting my BG up to about 175-225 will get me right back into the 80-100 range after my run. What are others eating/drinking before runs or workouts? Sometimes I feel like I'm eating junk just to run and burn it off.

Views: 426

Replies to This Discussion

Honestly if I go longer than 30 minutes without my pump, I go high... I learned somewhere that aerobic exercise releases insulin resistant hormones while you are exercising, so with that, I used to keep my pump on (with about 30% lowered basal) and would not eat before a run. I would also run with some dextrose tabs on me, which I occasionally needed. Everyone is different, this was my experience, and hope you can figure something out!

Welcome to working out and pumping! It's definitely a process of trial and error. I ride my bike a lot and am now training for a 1/2 marathon in February. I really started riding hard and training for triathlons about a year ago. I use to take my pump off before all of my bike rides until I started talking to some other diabetics and reading more about it. Ideally don't take your pump off, turn it down. Trial and error will tell you how much. Your muscles can take up glucose without insulin when you're working out, but are more efficient with glucose on board. Not to mention much more highly sensitive to insulin while in action. This will be more important if you ever get into longer distances/times.

The following are my current guidelines (not hard and fast rules): In my experience I have to pay attention to 3 main things to not have a low during a run: 1) I pay attention to when was my last meal was, like miketosh mentioned. I won't run if I've bolused more than 2u in the last 2 hours, it always ends in a disastrous low. The rules are different for everyone of course. If I feel like going anyway and it was around 2 units and under, I'll eat about 20g of carbs. 2) Decreased basal rate. I turn down my basal rate about 1 hour before the run. If it's less than 30 min run I set my basal at -30-50% (depending on intensity), if it'll be greater than 30 min I'll set it at -70-80%. And finally 3) Duration/intensity of run. If it's less than 30 minutes I don't usually eat, if it's longer than 30 minutes I'll have a few glucose tabs and a clif shot, or a banana. Then I'll eat about 7 g of sugar every 20 - 30 minutes depending on how I'm feeling and what my CGM says. My current favorite running carb is Trader Joe's Kettle Cooked fruit chews. They're soft, and compact and about 7g of carb per cube and super super tasty. :) Not sure of the sugar type (aka how rapidly absorbing), but I'm sick of glucose tabs at the moment.

Good luck with the running. It's a lot of fun and worth the bg hassle! And of course when I say trial and error, error means bg's in the 50's 2-3 miles away from home. I wear a spibelt http://spibelt.com/?gclid=CKWjqLeIuq0CFWgaQgodYCQv_w. And put my food and fast acting glucose in the pouches, even when it's just a short run...just in case...And as long as I'm talking about safty, I also always wear a medical ID.

Hope some of this was useful!
Megan

I pretty much stick to a low carb diet all day, but use some caffeine to get me through work outs and soccer. I know it's bad :-( However, to avoid the swings in BG numbers and fuel any activity late in the day, I'll eat a whole wheat bagel and banana in the mornings. That usually gives me enough fuel and I won't burn out. Throughout the day it's lean meat, chicken breast, turkey meat, etc. Anything but the white breads but stay low around 20-30 carbs per meal or snack. High protein keeps the munchies away, but eat small meals every 2-3 hours.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service