Has any one run a marathon ? i went and watched a friend of mine wothout diabetes run the Brighton Marathon today and i would be very temted to try 1 ! any recomendations as i'm Type 1 and have been for 2 and a half months.....

Views: 59

Replies to This Discussion

I do not bolus during a run, even for the gels. You need to keep your energy up. The exercise will use up the carbs you ingest. Our need to eat while we run for distance is not different than non-diabetics. Our greater risk is going too low, not ingesting too much carbs. Everyone needs to find their own balance and fine tune along the way.

If one skittle/mile keeps your bg in range then good on you!

There are lots of threads here on the subject so look around. The most cited resource is Sheri Colberg's book "the diabetic athlete.". Also see "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh.

Terry
As you can see from the responses so far, there are a lot of different ways to handle this. It takes experimentation, and you have to keep in mind that what you did the day before may be significant, your requirements may change as you get into better shape, etc.
The answer to the question about whether or not to bolus is that you either need to bolus or have your basal high enough to compensate for not bolusing. The amount you would bolus would be reduced, so your basal probably still wouldn't be at 100% if you went with adjusting your basal. I find that if I reduce my basal by about 25%, I can eat a gel w/27 g of carb every 45 minutes or so.
Good luck!
I take 1 unit of Novalog along with my regular dose of Levemir before doing my regular Sunday run (12-14 miles). I take 1 GU gel before running and use concentrated Gatorade at about 1 hour (equals about 15 gms of carbs). My bs is usually around 130 when I'm done.I think you need some insulin to convert the carbs to usuable fuel. If I don't taken any Novalog my bs is usually around 200 when I finish.
Hello,

I would be happy to help you in any way I can. First of all I would try not to have very little insulin in my body when starting to excercise. If I have just bolused I wait at least 3 hours before I try to run. Also, always carry your glucose monitor with you and food reserves in case your blood sugar drops. I carry PowerBar; Powergels with me. They have 27 carbs in each pack and will bring your BS up quickly. I turn my basal down to about 5% on my pump and usually start out with my BS around 200+, depending on how far I will run. I check my BS about every 5 miles or so depending on how I am feeling. I also have information on my website to share. Good Luck and let me know how I can help in any way!

All the best,
Kurt
www.kurtbauman.com
Thanks -- this is really helpful, the links too. I *have* learned to watch out for IOB. And my basal is really low right now, so I may have less trouble with lows than others do. As my distances get longer, I'll start to experiment with bolusing-and-not for gels. Maybe I'll try not bolusing on a run where I'll have 1 gel. 1 gel couldn't kick me THAT high anyway.

I checked out your blog, Jerry -- I'm an ex-Arizonan.... the folks still live in Glendale.
I'd add that a lot of the gels are 25G of carbs (at least the ones I have left from my last race...I didn't need them but was unable to pass up free carbs so I lugged them in my sleeves...) and I've noticed that I can feel better with 2x smaller doses split up than one huge dose that can jack me up? The jelly beans are handy for this, I can get a bag of Starburst Jelly beans (also super yummy...) for like $3.99 and portion it into the little ziploc bags (.99/ 100@ Hobby Lobby...) in like 20G packets and eat about 1/2 of one every 3 miles or so and have a really nice result. I am not sure how practical half consumed gels are to lug around but I suspect they could get messy?
Yeah, this was pretty much the conclusion I was coming to. Smaller more frequent doses of carbs without bolusing is probably the way to go, for me, for now. (I did 7 hilly miles yesterday, finishing BS 110!) I like the portable, nonmessy things that have electrolytes as well as sugar: jelly belly's sports beans and sharkies are the ones I know about so far. (Cliff's shot bloks are too sticky to leave open -- not as bad as gels, but still.)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service