Since it seems there are a few people looking to fill out their T2201 DTC forms on another thread, I thought I would start a new thread in the event that perhaps I can help anyone that is new to this process with filling them out.

First, you need to go online and download the tax forms. In my case, I filled them out myself and then took them to my Dr to sign. I have other friends that did the same, and some that had the Dr complete them. I did find it nice that they could be typed out in Adobe Reader and then printed so that in the even that you Dr has bad handwriting (as mine does), it is legible for the CRA people to read.

The portion that applies is only the Life Sustaining Therapy portion, unless you are claiming for another disability other than diabetes. There are 3 pages in the package that apply, in addition to your information on the front page.

The first question is do you meet the conditions for life sustaining therapy. If you are on insulin, you would answer YES.

The next question you would want to input the year you started taking insulin which would be the year of your diagnosis.

Then it asks for a description. Here you want to say something like "Insulin pump/Multiple Daily Insulin Injections to control diabetes, thereby sustaining life"

The next page, you would want to check all the YES boxes, and then check all the boxes under where it asks which daily living things apply, as you see fit. You would fill in the year that you began this therapy. For some this will be the same year as diagnosis, but perhaps it may not be the same year so fill that in as it applies to you. Also, directly below the check boxes that are checked for which things apply to you, I wrote in pen "See Effects of Impairment on next page". It may not seem that many of those things may apply, but you essentially want to check off anything that you can NOT do while testing, injecting, recording blood sugars, etc. For me, they all applied.

Next page...
The diagnosis is Type 1 Diabetes

Now, the important and more tricky part. Effects of Impairment.
"Time spent on life sustaining therapy: 14 hrs/wk (it must be 14 or more, so I'm using 14 here. If less than 14, you will not be approved). is unable to participate in any activities of daily living while managing his/her diabetes and diabetes regimen (and insulin pump if it applies), 24 hrs/day, 7 days/wk. must be available to: (pick the things that apply to you) calibrate insulin pump and CGMS, change tubing, rotate insertion sites, program pump, treat and recuperate from hypoglycemia, establish/reestablish insulin ratio, monitor glucose, maintain logs and analysing trends, prepare and administer insulin"

It is expected to last (YES) and it is not expected to go away (NO). Dr signs and does their thing, and mail it away to your closest tax center.

It really isn't as daunting as it looks in the end, if you have an idea of what they are looking for. :) Good luck, and hope you hear back favorable news. If you have a dr that doesn't do this on a regular basis, make sure you let them know that if they are asked for "further information", to CALL YOU and you will come in and assist them in completing that form. But, with the above answers, I have not heard of anyone's dr being further questioned.

BJ

Views: 3061

Replies to This Discussion

hiya bj,
hope you're well - still have everything you sent me (been using it like my 'idiot's guide' ha ha!) and am going to go through it all again...
feels so weird to have to explain all that...it has really upset my sweet husband, he feels that we should all be able to say, "i have diabetes" and all is understood, you know? anyways, thanks for all the help (again)!!
bec

Yes, but unfortunately CRA aren't doctors, and doctors aren't tax professionals so we have to explain EVERYTHING. LOL. Besides, not all diabetics qualify so simply saying "I have diabetes" doesn't entitle you to anything. That's where the answers come in just to make everyone's life a bit easier. Its really not a lot. Just take those answers and insert your name. :) Let me know when you hear anything.

Hi BJ, I am a new member to this site/group and only just found out about this tax credit this week when I was at a pump class. My question is whether I can claim it on this years taxes or have to wait until I get an actual approval. If so how long did it take to get your approval? If it is not too long should I just hold off doing my taxes for this year until I do?
I would appreciate any input :)

No, you do need approval first. I would recommend filing your taxes without it because it can take months to get approved (especially considering the backlog at CRA this time of year). What you would want to do is file your taxes like normal and then send in separately your completed 2201 form. Once they approve it, then you would complete a T1-ADJ for each year going back however far and they would then reevaluate your taxes and send you back the difference. You'll really have a mess on your hands if you try and claim it without being approved (it then is in their system and so when you claim it and dont have it in the system, you're asking to be audited, which is a huge pain) and if you wait for your approval, you may have penalties on your taxes as they need to be done by a certain date. I sent mine in in July (the slow time for CRA) and got approved the beginning of November. I'd expect to wait quite a bit longer this time of year, but once you send it in, it is just a waiting game for them to get to it. Good luck!

We just got ours approved, it was really quick, less than three weeks :)
Now to figure out the T1-ADJ form. If I understand correctly there is both a monthly benefit and a tax credit????

I'm glad to hear yours went though so quickly. The T1-ADJ is actually quite easy. There is an example on the instructions that they use the GST thing. You fill it out exactly like that, only instead of GST, you put in Disability Tax Credit. You need to complete one of these for every year you wish to have them re-evaluate. This particular thing does not give you anything other than a tax credit (it is not disability benefits). It does allow you to have an RDSP set up but that is something entirely different.

First time I hear about the T1-ADJ form ...Help ...what am I missing OR ?? http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-adj/t1-adj-11e.pdf

You're not missing anything Nel. The T1-ADJ is the form you fill out to get them to redo your taxes from years prior in the event that you missed a deduction or you are approved for the DTC and you want them to apply it to past years. BJ

As a long time recipient of the DTC , see my 2009 discussion , T1-ADJ does not apply to the Peach's ...whoopie :)

SuzP, just a note about the T1-ADJ. It is actually the "easy" part. Look at the GST/HST example (the last example on the "instruction page" and fill it out exactly like that only use "Disability Tax Credit" in place of "GST/HST Credit". I use the pdf fillable forms whenever possible, and you can fill it all in, print it, change the tax year and print it again for each year you need them to reevaluate. Then you sign it, attach a copy of your approval letter, and mail it away and wait for your money. If I can be of any help, please dont hesitate to let me know, and of course be sure to stop in and let us all know when you get your cheque from CRA.

Thanks BJ, I will do that tomorrow, I am claiming for my son - he doesn't have to have filed a tax return does he (he's only 12, no income).

No, as long as you have claimed him as a dependant, you get to use that deduction. :) BJ

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service