Since it seems there are a few people looking to fill out their T2201 DTC forms on another thread, I thought I would start a new thread in the event that perhaps I can help anyone that is new to this process with filling them out.

First, you need to go online and download the tax forms. In my case, I filled them out myself and then took them to my Dr to sign. I have other friends that did the same, and some that had the Dr complete them. I did find it nice that they could be typed out in Adobe Reader and then printed so that in the even that you Dr has bad handwriting (as mine does), it is legible for the CRA people to read.

The portion that applies is only the Life Sustaining Therapy portion, unless you are claiming for another disability other than diabetes. There are 3 pages in the package that apply, in addition to your information on the front page.

The first question is do you meet the conditions for life sustaining therapy. If you are on insulin, you would answer YES.

The next question you would want to input the year you started taking insulin which would be the year of your diagnosis.

Then it asks for a description. Here you want to say something like "Insulin pump/Multiple Daily Insulin Injections to control diabetes, thereby sustaining life"

The next page, you would want to check all the YES boxes, and then check all the boxes under where it asks which daily living things apply, as you see fit. You would fill in the year that you began this therapy. For some this will be the same year as diagnosis, but perhaps it may not be the same year so fill that in as it applies to you. Also, directly below the check boxes that are checked for which things apply to you, I wrote in pen "See Effects of Impairment on next page". It may not seem that many of those things may apply, but you essentially want to check off anything that you can NOT do while testing, injecting, recording blood sugars, etc. For me, they all applied.

Next page...
The diagnosis is Type 1 Diabetes

Now, the important and more tricky part. Effects of Impairment.
"Time spent on life sustaining therapy: 14 hrs/wk (it must be 14 or more, so I'm using 14 here. If less than 14, you will not be approved). is unable to participate in any activities of daily living while managing his/her diabetes and diabetes regimen (and insulin pump if it applies), 24 hrs/day, 7 days/wk. must be available to: (pick the things that apply to you) calibrate insulin pump and CGMS, change tubing, rotate insertion sites, program pump, treat and recuperate from hypoglycemia, establish/reestablish insulin ratio, monitor glucose, maintain logs and analysing trends, prepare and administer insulin"

It is expected to last (YES) and it is not expected to go away (NO). Dr signs and does their thing, and mail it away to your closest tax center.

It really isn't as daunting as it looks in the end, if you have an idea of what they are looking for. :) Good luck, and hope you hear back favorable news. If you have a dr that doesn't do this on a regular basis, make sure you let them know that if they are asked for "further information", to CALL YOU and you will come in and assist them in completing that form. But, with the above answers, I have not heard of anyone's dr being further questioned.

BJ

Views: 3196

Replies to This Discussion

Hiya BJ - hope this finds you (and all in the thread) well; got my NOTICE OF DETERMINATION yesterday (I'm guessing 2012 isn't a good year for me) and I did not get it :( I'm at a loss because I do not totally understand why I was declined...apparently they do not feel my therapy sustains a vital function and does not average more than 14 hours per week...should I appeal? I guess I feel very overwhelmed as this is just another 'bad' thing that has happened in a series of them...it is also a bit ironic considering my whole life has fallen behind in recent weeks because the heat/humidity has left me dealing solely with my diabetes (not to mention all the insane lows I've experienced and falling unconscious in the middle of the night, etc.)...anyways...HAS ANYONE APPEALED SUCCESSFULLY? Any advice or help (as always!) would be mega appreciated. Cheers to all :)

Hi Bec. I am quite confused as to what this means, but I would call them and get an explanation. Did you not have on your form that you spend >14 hrs/wk (as was on the sample that I sent you) and your dr signed it, thereby saying that this is the case? I know my friend Nel (who hopefully will chime in here) had a dr that said they couldn't verify the time spent (or something) and I'm not sure how she got it sorted out, but she did. The 14 hrs/wk is the key, and not all things count, but diabetes is a 24/7/365 disease. I would definitely appeal it (though I dont know how). But I would definitely call them and find out what the problem is and why they felt you didn't qualify as without insulin, you WILL die (hense sustaining a vital function) and that between testing, administering medication, logging data for your dr to review, reviewing data yourself, dealing with those insane lows, etc, it certainly takes you away from everyday activities more than 2 hrs/day (managing meals/snacks, counting carbs, etc does NOT count). Gotta love it when CRA decides they're doctors and can pick and choose... although if you filled it out like I've stated, I'm surprised that they would deny considering its all there in plain english for them. BJ

BJ - I did every thing you said...had your sample right by my side, was maticulous in filling it out...the letter I received says that they needed additional informaion (blah blah) and based on the information they received have determined I am not eligible because:
- the type of therapy indicated: does not meet the 14 hours per week criterion
- your impairment has not resulted in significant restriction in more than one basic activity of daily living (possibly because of teh use of appropriate therapy, medication, and devices)
- the significant restrictions that you experience are not present together all or substantially all of the time
- the cumulative effects of your restrictions are not equivalent to a marked restriction in a single basic activity of daily living
And that is exactly what they put - like a slap in my face! Especially after what I've been through in the last 2 weeks...anyways, I can do one of three things: 1) take it and carry on; 2) Request Another Review (basically sending any ofther info you think may help your case and ask that they look at it again) and 3) File a Formal Objection - I have 90 days to do this from when they mailed the form. It should include at T400A form or a letter to the attention of: Chief of Appeals. I think I'm going to write a letter...I have been known to have a way with words and feel my case may be better expressed that way than via the restrictions of their handy form.
Alas, thanks for all of your help - I'd have never known to even try for it ;)

short note, as I am off shortly ...GP , known for his lack of dealing with type 1 diabetes signed the form and added a statement , that he could not sign as he did not think it was taking me a min of 14 hours weekly ...I should have known , that my request would not be accepted.I had been accepted previous year ...obviously , that did not help .Then on to Dr. Maureen Clement from Vernon, BC, down the road ...who deals with type 1's , not exclusively , but involved with CDA's Clinical Practice GuideLines .
Bec , who is the person , that supplied additional information ...your first sentence ??
Just thinking : ..are you living in the area , where Dr. Ian Blumer ...google him , practices ??? Ajax, TO ...connect with him , if you can ?? ...he was on Tu recently .

To me, this sounds like what you went through with the dr you fired, Nel. Doesn't it? I agree, who did they get additional info *from*? Maybe, Nel, you have help in how you managed. Did you have to redo the forms? Do a different form? Write a letter? Bec, dont give up! You are entitled to it, as we all are. I'm sorry to hear that they are making something so reasonable unavailable to you. Nel, where is it that you saw that somebody had actually sat down and figured out the 14 hrs/wk that it took since I'm going to make a stab in the dark and suggest that is what they are suggesting makes it so she doesn't qualify? Maybe she could use some of that in her letter to state that she does indeed spend 14 hrs/wk on those things and that she is unable to carry out daily activities while tending to such tasks, since that is the idea. BJ

Yes, the forms were re-done ...I recall there was a time span of about 1 plus years, before I restarted ( this was my choice ) Hubby not here to ask ( well past bed time:)) and I can't recall if we added a letter , probably did ...apologies .Dr. Maureen added her comments ( I did not see the comments , as there was no need to ) ...recall , that she was asked to clarify ; she verbally told me that she had to supply more info .
Rather than going back to all the comments in the( mine ) original post about DTC and the breakdown of tasks , try Barb's website : http://www.diabetesadvocacy.com/DTC.htm...it may give a bit of a different prespective ??

The letter , personal stuff such as SIN , our address covered

http://www.diabetesadvocacy.com/DTC.htm July 4 posting ended up with some ...it...did not work

only noticed this on this extremely hot day here

Be aware !!

August 6, 2012
Information from Canada Revenue Agency
Information for Qualified Practitioners
Persons with disabilities The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is advising physicians to contact it if they feel they
http://www.cma.ca/index.php?ci_id=204820&la_id=1

Disability tax credit applications rising by 10% annually
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is advising physicians to contact it if they feel they are being pressured to provide information to support patients' claims for the federal Disability Tax Credit (DTC) that "they may not have medical records to support."

The advice comes as private companies that "help people apply" for the DTC and then claim a major portion of resulting refunds use advertising campaigns to seek potential applicants. The Toronto Star reported last year that one "refund company" claimed 30% of refunds resulting from DTC applications it initiated.

This makes me a bit angry... people trying to scam the system for something good. My dr (the one that signed my paperwork) has been my GP for over 8 yrs. I cant imagine a dr signing forms for somebody they've never met. Sad really. It may become harder now then for those applying to get approved. If denied, try again! BJ

BJ ...these incidences described in the link may not be diabetes related ??
The point is , if one really needs help filling out the papers don't go to a Company charging a percentage of one's credit received ...that's why you started this discussion ?? or visit Barb Marche at http://www.diabetesadvocacy.com/DTC.htm

Nel, it doesn't really sound like they are, but the point is that if there are fraudulant claims out there, it makes it harder for those that are entitled to it to get it. That bothers me.

I agree, dont go and pay somebody to do something like this when you end up doing the work yourself anyhow. BJ

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service