There are strength in numbers and it drives me batty to no end that we don't have access to the Dexcom Seven CGM in Canada so I started a facebook group. You never know...

http://www.facebook.com/groups/387882347923337/

Views: 1559

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Stacey,

Absolutely with you! I've heard that Dexcom has "lost interest" in the Canadian market, which is just terrible.

That's ridiculous! They have no idea. This is why I started the group. If they see the interest, hopefully they'll respond.

p.s. thanks for your support!

Thank you for bringing it up! Dexcom is very helpful in managing my diabetes and I'd like it to be available in Canada as well.
Does anyone know if there is any way to support this interest/group other then on Facebook?

Not that I know of. That's why I started it because there doesn't seem to be anything out there and I know social media can be a very powerful tool.

My understanding is that Animas owns the distribution rights to Dexcom in Canada and with the Vibe on the horizon, they don't see the market big enough for both. The problem is until the Vibe is released we are stuck with only Medtronic in Canada. From talking with Animas, they are just waiting for Health Canada to approve the Vibe, which could be months away.

I would have bought the Dexcom years ago if it was available in Canada. I would buy one in the US, but my insurance won't consider covering supplies purchased in the US.

I want the Dexcom CGMS too or Vibe or whatever. I cannot understand why the Canadian diabetic market would be less attractive than the other non US markets Dexcom has gone into (ie Europe).

Just a little note here on this:

Back about 9 months ago, I contacted Dexcom and obviously they would not ship to Canada, and you need a US doctors note. Not only do I need a CGM because I have severe Hypo unawareness, as well my Endo had said that this would be the "Best" thing for me.

So with a little research and yes I did go through some aggravating times but I ended up going down to Bellingham (close by Vancouver where I live), took a chance and paid the $150.00 charge for the appointment at a medical clinic, explained my situation to the Doctor that I saw, as well I took with me to the appointment a letter from my endocrinologist stating the need for me getting a CGM, as well as a copy of my file. The doctor that I saw, you could tell, frankly didn't care a less, charged me another $60.00 to write the note and off I went with a letter from a US doctor.

Now the tricky part, how to get it to Canada. Well in Point Roberts Washington (a 45 minute drive from Vancouver) there is a service called "The Letter Carrier", no PO box nothing, you just address the package with your name and the address of 145 Tyee Drive, Point Roberts Washington, 98281. Sign up for the email notification for when you receive a package, and there it is, in possession of the Dexcom device.

Crossing the border, well it is small enough where you could put it in your pocket, but I thought what the heck, lets see. Got up the the Window, said that I have a $1,250.00 device (first invoice for transmitter and sensors), the border agent looked at the receipt, asked if it was for personal, I said yes and off I went, no questions asked. (Just as back up I also had with me the letter from my Canadian Endocrinologist and the letter from the US Doctor.

I have since ordered 2 box's of sensors and at the border I show the receipt and no issues because it is "Personal".

So it is possible while we are waiting, but, it is a PITA "pain in the a$$"

Good to know! Just a note that a prescription isn't required in the UK or Europe, so it's possible to use family or a similar forwarding service over there and get the unit with mmol.

It's great to know that you didn't have any problems bringing it across the border. I didn't realize that no one would care when I brought mine over from the UK, and I wish I had! I was nervous that it would be confiscated for some reason.

SiggyB, I tried to message you but can't until you accept my friend request.

I have a friend who regularly travels to the UK. I was thinking to have him pick me one up. Do you think he would have any problems bringing it into Canada? I wouldn't want him to put him in a bad situation with customs.

It really is too bad that we can't get the Dexcom in Canada. I was actually talking to someone at Animas today who said that we will likely never get a separate Dexcom as once the Vibe is here they will go full steam ahead with that. I personally don't like the idea of having the receiver in the pump, and would rather have something separate that I can keep on my desk while at work, and shut it off at times where I do NOT want to hear from it. I can't imagine digging into my bra while helping a customer at work because my pump is alarming at me.

I really hope things change one day and we can get the separate receiver. In a perfect world, we would be able to get the receiver and ping meter in one, but I don't know if and when that will ever happen! Wishful thinking :)

Thanks for the info amby6063. That, IMHO, is total BS. In Europe the have the Vibe right now but you can also get a standalone Dexcom. How beyond frustrating it would be if what you heard from an Animas rep today is true.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service