I was out of I'V prep so I went to shoppers to get some and i was told that "I.V prep is no longer legally allowed to be sold is Canada"

What?!??! Why?!?!?

Views: 100

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe they were thinking of something else, because that just doesn't make sense. I usually get my supplies from Diabetes Express, which is located in Toronto. IV Prep is still shown on their website, although I haven't needed to buy it in a while. Maybe you might call another drug store (or even tht Shoppers and speak to someone else) to verify that info.
Hi Jamie, thanks for sharing the info about Diabetes Express. Their prices are slightly cheaper than what I get from Aniimas for infusion sets and cartridges. Do you buy everything diabetes related from them?

One general question though. If you have insurance, do you always need a prescription for your insurance company to cover your insulin and testing strip coverage? I always find it a pain to go to my doctor for just an insulin prescription. Just wondering what others do. Or if there is a way to make my already hectic life a little easier and reduce stress.
It's not necessary to have a prescription for insulin with the pharmacy. All you need to ask for is a receipt signed by the pharmacist. The only thing is that they won't submit it for you - you have to submit manually. A regular receipt is not enough as the insurance company requires the name of the drug, the strength, DIN number, that kind of thing. You can get insulin and strips over the counter, ask for a written receipt, and you don't have to pay the pharmacist's fee. So if you have a co-pay or a limit for the fee, you can save a little along the way.

I'm sure that D.E. can help with that if you just ask. I've bought all things directly related to T1 - pump supplies and insulin (with no prescription, but I also didn't have insurance coverage at the time). I've also bought other odds and ends such as big containers of glucose tabs which works out cheaper than the little ones you get from the normal pharmacy - but other drugs, not so much. If you are a pumper, They also have a pump now, pay later program which allows you to buy supplies and pay once you get your payment from the insurance. But the province also pays for pump supplies now, so that helps too.
I live in Manitoba and my endo gives me my script once a year for all my diabetic supplies. I buy everything through Wal-mart (what they don't have they will order in for me) and I am with Blue Cross which has Blue Net so 80% of the cost is taken off right away and I only pay 20% at the till until I reach the Pharmacare deduction. It cover all diabetic supplies.
I have never heard of this, I wonder if someone was mistaken. We use Skin Tac but my supplier still has IVPrep on there website. Jamie I use the same company, the makers and asking if it is true.
I dont know wants goin on, but i was just on the diabetes express website and it said the same thing. Thats soo weird:S
That explains a lot. I was wondering why I could not find it any longer on the Minimed Canadian site. We ended up purchasing Skin Prep instead, but that has worked just as well.

Cheryl
Lama I was just checking around and it says that it is being discontinued and reformulated. Nice of them to tell people. I dont see a contact number for the company.
Lama I would try Skin Tac or one of the other products that can be used. Good luck
Ya thanks skyefire, i think thats what im goin to do:)
I just purchased a box a couple of weeks ago. My pharmacy (London Drugs) just orders it from their supplier.
Lama ...are you referring to IV3000 ?? .As far as I understand , IV3000 is available in Canada; I purchased a box in mid April 2010 through my Pharmacy ...I have been unable by reading the responses to date , if there is truth to your question ??
The last time I ordered a box of IV Prep from Diabetes Express, as shown on their website, they sent me Skin Prep. I tried it instead of trying to find out what was going on, and it worked just fine for me!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service