I'm trying to find out when the Omnipod will be available here. Does anyone know anything about it? What stage of the process it's in?

Views: 1581

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I looked but didnt see anything here about the Omnipod Canada Web site being alive and well so hopefully I am not relaying an old news. www.myomnipod.ca is working now with info on its launch in Canada later in the year. Its been a long time coming. Cheers.

Rob
I heard from my CDE today that it is expected to be on the market by July 1.
I had an appointment with my endo last week and he said he didn't think it would be fully available until maybe Sept. I got the impression it'll be different for each province though.

If you do get it in July, please let us know about the process you went through.
I'm not looking to get one (I have an Animas Ping). I was surprised by the July 1 date, too, but my CDE was sure of it. I have since tried to search for more info online, but I haven't found anything to confirm what she said.

She had one, so I got to play around with it. The pods are heavier than I expected (not super heavy, but they carry a bit of heft), but not as outrageously huge as I thought they'd be. The PDM is kind of dinky, and the buttons are hard to push, but the interface is fairy intuitive. It's definitely a step in the right direction. I can't wait till all pumps are tubeless.
Samantha ... ??? did you connect with : Annette Payne-Wilson, Omnipod Diabetes Care Manager . Direct Line 604-729-7338
annetee.p.payne-wilson@gsk.com.....re posting in mid March .
I sent an email to that address, but it didn't work. Are you sure that's her correct address?

I figured I'd have to go through my endo anyway to have it all done up right.
I checked her business card again and yes, I copied Annette's address correctly ...I have
no " new" information re her available at this time .
I received e-mail from Annette today , after I checked with my pump Nurse ...correction :
annette.p.payne-wilson@gsk.com
Say Hi to her from me if you contact her :)
My Pump Nurse , the one I mentioned before in this discussion , will on June 18 be training pump trainers on the Omnipod ...I think she is relating to our area ( Okanagan , BC )

Trial Omnipod , Aug 02 - 05 on my arm , with saline ...my Pump Nurse gave me a crash course today ....it should be available ...Omnipod connected to the FreeStyle meter ...I will use my Bayer Link so will enter BG tests manually . I will try to give an unbiased update after the 3 day use ...please stay tuned.PS : pump probably should have been placed a bit more towards the middle of arm ..please remember I am in the learning mode :)
I posted this in the discussion " Omnipod in Canada ! and " copied and pasted "
My observations of the 3 day trial are limited, as I would require more some training .Positives : no worry about air bubbles, screen easy to read,as a small daily user of insulin pod large enough for the 3 day duration .Neg : Medtronic , Veo has smaller increments of insulin , first day caught pod on back of chair,some sensation , however gadget stayed in arm and added extra IV3000 tape .When pod added to arm felt sharp sensation for about 4 secs , when removed noticed bruise .Bruising also happens with present infusion sets. Basal input less user friendly and can only set 4 rates ??? Carb ratio settings : 4 only ?? When low BG is there a record for added carbs ?? Can pod be set for warnings about missed bolus ?? Downloading information more complex than with the MM's CareLink program ??? ...I was glad I had the opportunity and I will continue with my Medtronic Veo /CGMS .I understand, that the basic programming of the Omnipod is similar to the Animas pump .
PS next generation pod will be smaller .
Finally available!

I had an appointment with my endocrinologist today and he gave me a demo pod and we talked about what we need to do to get it to happen. They're gonna be busy for awhile I imagine since it became available only 2 days ago. Unfortunately, the price point is about what all the other pumps in Canada cost. My doc quoted me $6000, but said they might accept no interest payment plans. I'm got the demo on now and I can't feel a thing. I'll have to see what sleeping with it will be like.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service