i know it's not tax time, but it took the CRA three and a half months to "review" my application for this and they approved it and sent a big fat tax refund my way. I am now applying for this retroactively for several years. I suggest folks apply for this once their doc fills out the form.

Views: 344

Replies to This Discussion

I applied and after requiring further documentation from my doctor I was approved retroactive to 2005 but the cheque was not so fat. It seems it is a maximum return of $1,010 per year so over the years it was a few thousand which is nice but we spend thousands a year out of pocket anyway :-( with two diabetics at home. Enjoy the refund :-)
Sounds great. What form and where can you download it?
It's the Disability Credit you can probably qualify for with Diabetes. The guide, with the T2201 form in it is at the CRA website:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4064/README.html
Congrats rj, thanks for sharing !!
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/canada/forum/topics/disability-tax-...
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/canada/forum/topics/disability-savi...
2 Discussions , first one started 2009 and a more recent one about the savings plan ....type 2 's on MDI may qualify ...the proof lies in showing that it requires 14 hours weekly to manage one's diabetes .
Size of cheque depends , if qualified , on many factors : income splitting , size of income , etc. etc. ...maybe bikette willing to share her expertise ??
PS one can apply anytime of year .
so my question is this.....is this tax credit based on the family income, or only the diabetic person. i am the diabetic, and i pay for my own diabetes supplies out of my ownpocket, not my spouses. therefore i feel the refund (if any) should come to me, not him. is this how it works? obviously we file our taxes together, but would this be based solely on my income? i don't make alot, but most of what i make i spend on prescriptions such as isulin, obviously, and test strips(they are a killer when i test on average 10X a day), as well as meds for high BP and high cholesterol.
i don't think it would be fair if the disability credit goes towards bringing down his taxable income, when i am the one putting out the money.
Hey Kim,

I actually would advise to put it on the taxes of the spouse who makes more money. You can have the tax credit transfered to your spouse or use it for your taxes. Please note this is not a tax deduction but a tax credit so no matter what you make you basically get back 15% of the tax credit which is around $7,200 for adults and a bit more for a dependent child (I have a son who is diabetic as well). It takes a few months to get it sorted out and you have to have your doctor fill out the T-2201 form and once it is sent in it takes about 8 weeks. Again, if you find out something different than what I am saying I would love to know since I did tons of research and got back my refund and at first I thought it would be 40% of the tax credit since we pay about 40% in taxes but it was not, it was the basic 15%. You can check out the Schedule 1 form at the Federal Tax web site and complete it with the amount of the tax credit ($7,200) and this will tell you the amount of your refund. Hope this helps!!! PS...Test strips are a killer and we go through 20 per day between me and my son and also have Gastroparesis, hypothyrodism and high cholesterol so I can empathize with you. Let me know what happens :-) But if you go back retroactively to 2005 it is about $6,000 I believe!!!
thanks jodil

so we have already done our taxes for 2010, so if i fill out the forms and my doctor, of course, and send it in now, they would be looking at going back to 2005? and i understand that they will tell you then, if you have to file again next year (2011 return) or if you are covered for so many years. i have been T1 since 1974, so i think i've got the "life sustaining therapy" bit covered.
Yes, you fill out the forms once every 5 years (I believe) and then just apply the tax credit on your Schedule one yearly and you will get back that portion with your tax refund. I agree that you've got the life sustaining therapy down pat but I actually still had to get my endocrinologist to fill out an additional form as the government is cracking down on the credit due to fraud but after a few extra weeks I was approved so you can look forward to a nice check and possibly that retroactive amount I mentioned (Keep on top of things and call the government to make sure you were approved and to make sure they are verifying your previous taxes so you can collect the retroactive amount). I can assure you that they don't do you any favors and you must keep on top of your file.
Just a note for some of you...It should only take about 8 - 12 weeks

I'm at 18 weeks and still no cheque. My process started in January. I was approved back in May, however it seems the Tax Centre can lose files or take extended vacations with your assessment :) After several phone calls and letters it is still being worked on!
Not sure what is the hold up, it should not be taking this long...I would keep calling them!!!
I have done A LOT of research on this and just got my check retroactive this past July. The credit came into play in 2005 so you can go back to that tax year if your doctor fills out the form and shows you spend at least 14 hours per week on things like shots, checking sugar, etc...I believe it is more for Type 1 as you must check off a box that you receive "life sustaining therapy" (Insulin) so Type 2 may not qualify unless on insulin (no harm to inquire with Federal Government Form T2201). I believe it does not matter how much money you make as this is a tax credit in which you get back 15% of the credit which is something around $7,200 CAD so if you multiply this by 15% it is about $1,100 per year. You can apply for a dependent child under the age of 15 who is Type 1 on insulin and you get back around $1,400 per year per child. I know this because my son at age 8 last year became Type 1 as well and we got back $1,400 for him and $1,050 for me and we are a one income family and we spend over $200 per month out of pocket on medical expenses. Even for medical expenses you only get back (as far as I figured out with the Federal Schedule 1) 15% of expenses if you spend more than $2,040. If anyone got more than $1,050 I would be curious to know as I was told it was no based on income. Hope this helps.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service