Some meals are really hard to handle. Here I will add these special meals and their aftermath for me.

Views: 78

Replies to This Discussion

Big Pizza at lunch (big in my perspective)

Carb count: 75g

MDI Injections: 6 units before eating the pizza at 14:00, 2 units 2 hours later, 2 units 4 hours later. This could have been one unit less because I ended with 75mg/dl at 20:00.

The aftermath looks very good and I have handled the pizza well. The day was just overshadowed by a high blood glucose in the morning before the pizza. The reason is not very clear to me but I think I am still adjusting to the temperature rise in spring that sometimes causes a temporary dawn effect for me.

This is totally off-topic, but really interestig to me: You have a dawn phenomenon caused by spring?? 'cause I'm at the moment experiencing a dawn phenomenon myself, and I'm sure I haven't had that ever before in my live. But as this spring has more influence on me than it usually had, it seems to be a tempting explanation.
Yes, the rapid change from -5 to +15°C caused some serious dawn reactions for me. I think Barb Whiton has written that this seasonal adjustment is known in the community to cause trouble. Thankfully this adjustment phase has passed and now I am in the green again (as you can see in the following image, the circle marks the spikes in the morning):

Too interesting. But it is just for the time of adjustment, like 2 weeks or so and than it's gone? Or does it stay the whole summer? (Cause I still have it right now and I'm sure weather in Münster and Bonn isn't too different.) Anyways, thanks for the info!
I think it is an adjustment period of three weeks. After that the dawn reaction should level out (in theory). It might be connected to the increasing light from dawn that is triggering the adrenal gland. The gland is producing hormones that will order the liver to release glucose deposits to prepare our body for waking up. The switch to summer time will shift the time of increased light by one hour. This in combination with the natural adjustment might be the key that the period is just some weeks long.
Chinese food: Curry Pot No. 150 with chicken, bamboo, mushroom, paprika, snow pea (I think) and coconut flavoured sauce.

Carb count: 48g > 8-1 units of NovoRapid (one unit less because of insulin on board)

Aftermath: reached 79 mg/dl 2 hours later and ate some carbs. Rise to 148 mg/dl 4 hours after eating the main meal. It would have been better to wait for the natural raise without eating the additional carbs: more patience please but overall a good result I think.

French fries and curried sausage - junk food without doubt:

Carb count: 60g.

Aftermath: normally I would take 10 units but because of the high fat I attacked it with only 6 units. The idea was to catch the rise 1 hour later. Because of bad timing I retested two hours later. Then I already had reached 190mgdl and had some problems to bring that down. Eat junk and face the consequences is the perfect summary for me:

Oh , my you are a willing guinea pig :-) ...mayo on the fries ??? as the Dutch sooooo love !
The 60 g carbs would mean for me 2.4 u at this time of the morning ...how different we all are !
Now something completely different: whole grain chips, LOL

I ate 110g (the whole bag) and it contained 64g of carbs.

These chips have some fat and the whole grain makes it hard to predict. It worked out pretty good. One hour before eating the chips I had a higher BG because I overprepared for a little car repair that turned out as less physically demanding. One hour after the correction at 20:30 I have eaten the chips. The dosage for me would have been 13 units. I splitted that to 6+3+3 => 6 before eating then 3 one hour later and 3 again one hour later. This was 1 unit less than planned because I had some insulin on board from the correction. Before going to sleep at 01:00 I had 82mgdl and decided to catch the rest with 2 glucose tabs and 1 chocolate bar. I tested again at 03:00 and injected one unit. This turned out as not necessary because I woke up with 79mg/dl but because of the whole grain I thought I better make sure I catch it. That was quite an investment in tests and reduced sleeping time but next time I will now how to handle these chips.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service