Hi, my name is Elaine I was diagnosed with Type 1 in 1961, I was then diagnoses with underactive thyroid in 1976 then I was diagnosed with Coeliac in 2003 and this year 2007 I have been diagnised with Pernicious anemia. So 4 in total if we are counting autoimmune conditions, I also have some congenital issue which is not relevant for this discussion but I would like to know do I hold a record in terms of auto conditions but more importantly is there anyone out there with the same mix?

Views: 27

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that is a handful, isn't it! Sorry, we are holding at 2...but still young...so who knows!
You beat me for sure!

I'm a T1 D, who MAY have celiac and MAY have thyroid problems - tests are being done for thyroid this week, and I haven't bothered being tested for celiac as I'm partially gluten free already, I don't feel that an official diagnosis would do anything for me except kick me in the butt and change 'partially' to 'totally', maybe... ok so I'm chicken lol. I just don't feel I need that many labels!
I was also diagnosed gradually with a few autoimmune conditions - besides Type 1 diabetes it's celiac, thyroid problems fluctuating between under and overactive thyroid and and now about 3 years ago I was diagnosed with lung sarcoidosis. I have some other problems that are complications of diabetes mostly.
I've got 3 - type 1 diabetes, Celiac and I had Grave's disease which is in currently remission.
I just joined tudiabetes because I was intrigued by what you all are discussing.
Have any of you tried altering any other parts of your diet? I'm diabetic & celiac & feel like I've been waiting for the next disease to hit. So, I've been researching & talking to other people & tried giving up dairy as well. I've heard how dairy is especially aggravating for those asthma. (Which I don't have). Made some of my other weird symptoms go away, (that the doctors dismiss when I bring them up). I am also currently not eating ANY sugar. I keep hoping that I'll see some change in my BG #'s, but so far no luck. Anyone else try anything like this?
I was tested for some other foods and found I'm allergic to corn and rice as well as the gluten grains. I have LADA, hypothyroid, psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. I'm not allergic to dairy or soy, which is a relief. This is very new for me. I was really hoping to have celiac's because I have read that it could be the root cause of all my autoimmune conditions. I didn't eat much grain because of BG so it isn't such a huge change for me. The difficult thing is finding all the hidden grain. Did you know that vanilla extract, malt vinegar, Tamari and caramel color all have corn and/or wheat? I have stopped all processed foods and am trying to avoid all allergens for a few months. I am seeing an improvement in my BG after just a couple of days. Fasting down in the 80s! Next thing I'm hoping for some relief from the joint pain.
I was hoping to hear that someone else is trying this. I would expect you to get some relief, but if you don't consider the dairy issue. I've been gluten free for many years, but dropped the dairy about 4 weeks ago. One of the first symptoms to clear up for ME was minor joint pain. My ridiculously dry skin went away & some sinus issues (that I've seen 3 separate doctors for), cleared up. However, my BG seemed unaffected. I then got tested for food intolerances & am avoiding all corn & cane sugars as well as some other foods. Now I'm seeing my sugars stabilize more. I used to have unexplainable highs & lows, now if I'm high it's because I didn't calculate enough insulin & I'm not going low at all. Let me know if you want to vent about this, you've got a hard combo w/ the corn & rice. (I fall back on rice a lot). Just out of curiosity (& don't answer if you don't want to ), what's your a1c like?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service