Dexcom called yesterday with REALLY good news. Aetna will cover the dex com seven!!!!!! yeaaaaaaaaa!.

Kathy

Views: 161

Replies to This Discussion

I just got off the phone with my Minimed guy and I'm upgrading my pump and getting the CGM and it's covered with Aetna. He said it's a recent change.

Times are-a-changing!!!!!!!
Are you guys covered 100%? I have Aetna too and just got the CGM and an upgrade to my pump but my plan says durable medical equipment s only covered 50/50 once my deductible has been met. So now I'm making mo. pymts to cover these 2 devices PLUS if I want to continue to use the Dex I need to pay $240 for a box of sensors.

Any suggestions?
Your "Aetna" plan is different from Gary's "Aetna" plan. Some thing happens with most every mega-insurance company, gazillions of different policy plans being offered in one State versus another.

Does your plan have a maximum Out-Of-Pocket per year, providing a higher rate of coverage after you've paid out a pile of cash? In mine, after we've reached $5000 in co-pays, the co-pay requirements go away: everything gets covered at 100%.

If your policy is similar then maybe, after you've bought the pump upgrade and Dexcom kit, you could reach such a limit during the plan year. Check it carefully.
Your sensors are cheaper than mine. I have to pay 275.00 out of pocket every mo. I have to go with Medicare guidelines and my neighbor on Medicaid gets a $6,000.00 pump and supplies for nothing. Makes you want to get rid of all assets, quit work PRN and sit on your butt. What's wrong with our system? I'm getting the DexCom next week as I have lows of 39 and no symptoms and highs of 300+. I like waking up in the morning. I do get my meter and strips covered but my Dr. had to fight to get me and extra 5 boxes of strips every 3 mo. I've tested up to 9X's a day. fishing lady
I have Educators Mutual and they just approved my CGM (minimed). From what the woman from where I get my supplies from said, mine is the first one they have covered that she knows of! I think my PRN wrote a good letter explaining the potential costs if they didn't. WoooHoooo!
Congrats! and interesting, because that usually doesn't work. The letters which I occasionally ghost-write don't bother to argue about possible future treatment costs in $$$: I've found it quicker and more certain to remind them how denial of "FDA APPROVED AND MEDICALLY NECESSARY" equipment and supplies, being prescribed exactly per Approved FDA labeling, could cost their decision-making M.D. his/her license to practice.

Permanently!

When it's not merely a fight about money, you can get their attention in a hurry ;)
I have Medicare Advantage and Medicare guidelines won't cover any of this. My Dr. tried every way to get me a pump with no luck. My C-Peptide was not low enough. They want you pancreatic dead and on a transplant list before yuou can get a pump but my neighbor on Medicaid can get a $6,000.00 pump and supplies for nothing. Makes you want to get rid of all assets, quit Prn work and sit on your butt. Who did you write your letter to and hoew did you word it? My Dr. finally wrote a medically necessary letter to my insurance for an extra 5 boxes of strips every 3 mo. and finally got it approved. How do you word a letter for a CGM and have it work? fishing lady
Your case is almost certainly "winnable". I'm sent you a message about it...
Not a lawyer, and I do not charge anything for this assistance. I just want revenge on the CEO's getting $10M per year for denying medically necessary treatments, and their "let's deny another one!" customer service boiler rooms. (Yes, just like the stock-fraud boiler rooms in the movies-- I have bad dreams of "Service Representatives" jumping up from their chairs to ring the bell whenever they've inflicted another denial on a policy holder, and the whole room cheers. Grrrr.)

They cannot require E.R. visits in this situation. It's ridiculous-- think of a heart pt. with Arrhythmia, with initial diagnosis at a physician's office. After all the tests, done via appointments, suppose that an internal defibrillator, or maybe a pacemaker, is prescribed. Does insurance get to deny the treatment, merely because the pt. wasn't dragged into an E.R. by an ambulance?

NO! Such a "requirement" would be absolutely bogus, and CGMS is the same. You have vast swings in bG levels, extremely high average bG, and this "durable equipment" treatment is medically necessary. What's their next requirement gonna be, that the E.R. visit "had to occur on a Tuesday"?
What exactly is "prescribed exactly per Approved FDA labeling,"?? I'm trying to get my insurance company to approve a Dexcom...refused last year stating "not medically necessary". Too tired to appeal: but, this year, ready for a fight!!! We've already submitted the letter of necessity and many other documents..but I'm sure an appeal will be in order...
WHAT insurance company? make me a friend, and we'll move forwards from there. Have you received their form-letter-styled initial denial yet?
PHCS administered by AETNA--it's through the small hospital where I work and as I understand it--the board has a say in what they cover...(?)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service