I am looking to invest (personally) in a CGM system. I have a Paradigm Veo pump so the natural choice seems to be the Medtronic Enlite. I am looking for opinions and experience of anybody who has used CGM, what systems have you guys had the best experiences with, how does the the Enlite system compare with the rest of the market?

Views: 1162

Replies to This Discussion

Big vote for the DEXCOM!

I tried the Dexcom in 2009 for about 5 months, but I quickly abandoned it after I had lipodystropy on both sides of my abdomen. The doctors (and Wikipedia) said it was because of the insulin, but I've been using Novolog forever and had the pump for four years at that point, so I'm not sure why it would magically start happening in the span of one week. I stopped using Dexcom, but I continued using Novolog and the pump, and I haven't had problems since then.

My guess is that doubling the amount of needles in my abdomen caused this, and the Dexcom needle was fairly long (and very difficult to insert). Only one side of my abdomen has gone back to normal.

But now, I'm trying the Revel pump and CGM. I'm not happy with the needle length, and it has caused bruising and bleeding, but I am happy that 1) it covers much less real estate than the Dexcom, 2) the monitor is built into the pump, and 3) the sensor has an inserter. However, I'm mystified that the transmitter is allowed to naturally flop around, and you have to use a massive IV3000 bandage to secure it. Incredibly clumsy design. Luckily, I've managed to use a simple piece of medical tape to secure the transmitter to my body.

Another thing: If you don't angle the insertion properly (close to 60 degrees), then the insertion point is exposed! Plus, I've had a lot of bleeding around the insertion point, and the blood dries up underneath the base. Not aesthetically pleasing.

Overall, lots of pro's and con's with both Dexcom and Minimed. Not sure why they take so long to improve their designs, especially in this day and age of advanced technology.

Well, Medtronic has a new sensor, the Enlite, which has been in use in Europe for a couple of years now, which has a tape built in to secure the transmitter. And it lasts for 6 days instead of 3.

But, of course, it is lost in FDA wasteland hell, so no one knows if or when it will ever become available in the US.

Neither one of the CGMs is as good as I would like them to be, and yes, I would really like to see both companies working on improvements. I'd like to see more accurate meters for that matter! But with the FDA the way it is, and the healthcare industry the way it is, I advise you not to hold your breath.

Actually, I have exactly the same question. So far I've been on the OmniPod for >5 years, but my A1C is getting worse and worse (recently 8.4) so my endo has suggested a CGM. But he seems to think I should abandon OmniPod and go with Medtronic pump because with the Elite you can get them to talk and it'll shut off insulin pumping if you get too low. Well, that's all very nice but it doesn't seem like a good enough reason for me to abandon my OmniPod. So I'm checking into what experience others have had combining OmniPod and CGMs.

Update: I switched from the Medtronic to the Dexcom for a couple of reasons: first, it's WAY more accurate for me -- I had a lot of missed lows in the 50's on the Medtronic. I can't speak for the Enlite, but that leads to reason number two: The Dex sensors last longer. If you reuse the Enlite, you get 12 days; if you reuse the Dex, you get 14. Plus a lot of people use the Dex for even longer than that while continuing to get good results.

The fact that they don't speak to each other is not such a big deal -- it really doesn't take much time to enter a BG reading from the Dex (or even better, a finger stick) into your pump, and then your carb count -- a very minor inconvenience in the whole scheme of things. Both my Dex and my t:slim are in my pocket, and don't bother me in the least. So I'm sold.

Thanks !

I just the got the Enlite sensor and G30 pump - Loving it so far!
It is leaps and bounds ahead of the older medtronic CGMs in my opinion. The Shut-off is quite useful, but I find the best thing to do is to configure all the alerts. They can drive you insane if you don't have them set to a reasonable interval.

Having all the data in the pump is also quite easy for you or your doctor to review. Its a nice package.

I have just posted a comment in the thread 530G with Enlite, so I won't repeat it all here.

From your comment about investing personally does this mean you are self-funding? If so leaving aside the greater accuracy, the much longer lifetime of the Dexcom G4 sensors (ca 18 days) compared to the Enlites (most people seem to get no more than 8 days out of an Enlite) makes it a MUCH cheaper option even if you include the shorter lifetime of the Dexcom transmitter.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service