How do you squeeze in exercise between school and work?

I like to park far from my classes, do squats in the stairwells, take the stairs, and load my backback down when walking across campus. you?

Views: 164

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like you got a winner there! That is the samething I done when I was in school.
30 mins running three or four days a week, and cycling to work - turning up to court on a bike ALWAYS makes me feel cool.
I don't drive to school (no car :/), but when I do I won't make a fuss about using the parking garage. I'm fine parking far and walking. I also take stairs whenever possible. One class last spring had be going up 4 floors O.O Just little stuff like that. Plus, unless I run into some friends, I tend to wander around anyway.
i can't drive. so that means i take public transport, which means a fair amount of walking around. like from my house to the train station, from the train station to the bus interchange and so on. my campus is pretty big..and my faculty is situated in our own building at the south of the south 'spine' (as we call it) of the school. so pretty much everywhere i go, i walk. it's far better than waiting for ages and ages for that snail-like shuttle bus to come!
I took a rock climbing class this past semester. Actually built up a good bit of arm stregnth in it, and it was a ton of fun.

Normaly I just try to say active as much as possible. Put all my books for my classes in my backpack + laptop + other gear. Take the stairs, walk to class instead of the bus, ect.
i commute to my school. so when i get to school i park farthest away from my classes & have to carry around my books for every class in my backpack & i walk everywhere.
i'm also a lifeguard at the local YMCA so i get to use the pool and workout rooms before school. & after work for free. :)
I work at a cheerleading/gymnastics gym so I get a bunch of exercise there. but walking around campus is also a great way too!
i have a long walk to the train and to my classes about a good mile to and from. at work since i work retail i never sit down and i tend to walk around and keep myself busy (workaholic i need to move!). occasionally after i get home from a long day at school and work if i'm up for it, there's always push ups, sit ups and crunches. this seems like the most excercise i can do for the time being.
Wo these are all pretty good tips, what I keep focusing on is trying to multitask whenever i can. A good example is that i take my assigned reading to the gym and sit on the recumbent bike and work thru it. I use a chest strap heart rate monitor so i just set my desired beats per min on the bike and it takes care of making sure im working hard enough while my brain can get through the way to dry material.

If you have the ability to record the lectures, dropping them to your ipod and catching up while burning of that glucose is great too.
I usually go swimming after lectures 2 times a week,weight lifting 2 times a week late at night for 30 minutes , interval jogging once a week and a WHOLE Lot of protein and veggies : D .

I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic. I used to think I'm not exercising enough. But after reading all your replies, my exercise routine looks okay :) I use public transport to go to college, so that means a fair amount of walking to and from the train station. Plus power walks every evening for about half an hour. I also try taking the stairs whenever I can. And leg exercises in the morning, since I came to know Diabetics need additional foot-care :D

I take Taekwondo classes twice a week. 1 hour each. Stop during finals. Can't risk an injury during finals. I walk on our treadmill whenever I can. With a slide show or an educational video playing as I jog.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service