My son will likely be changing over from the Navigator to Dexcom soon. He wants to continue to wear the CGM on his arm and wanted me to check to see how others wear it, vertically or horizontally or if it matters? He said that he saw on the site that you are supposed to wear it horizontally, but since arms are not an approved site, maybe others have had luck with vertical? Since my daughter can only wear her Omnipod on her arms, we have never tried them for the Dexcom.

Views: 791

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks guys! I've been scared to try because the sensors are so darn expensive I can't afford to mess one up. It's good to know the adhesive lasts longer on the arm to. I start double taping on my stomach on day 5 and my skin gets angry and red.
I think the skin on my arm is tougher - it doesn't get as irritated as my stomach. Try lining up the sensor without removing the protective sheet to see about placement, how you can reach it etc. It's similar to the first time you tried to put a necklace on with a tiny or tight clasp. The first time you struggle a bit, second time is easier, and you get to the point that you don't even think about it...
I think another reason the adhesive lasts longer is because arms don't bend like tummies can. My sensors do best on either my arms or my thighs. I also try to minimize using extra adhesive as I react to most now. The only one I can wear is hypafix.
I wear mine vertically too, same with my legs.

Here is a little video of me doing an arm insertion (I don't know if it helps much)

Find more videos like this on TuDiabetes

Oh and I am not very flexible so it might be harder for me than most.
That is a big help, thanks! You make it look easy. He is getting it on Thursday, and will be inserting it that day, so I will have him watch the video.
I thank all those who have responded to these excellent blogs.

To all new users I offer thye following.:

a) this machine does not replace your finger stik machine looking at your finger tips.

Does it help - hell yes.

Are the advisice from Dexcom and teh reponse from FDA standing in the temple of Solomon
offering advice preventing the spliting of babies in half - hell no.

If you have BG moving fast, one will find that Dexcom will ctrch everage trends as seen through averaging of interstitial tissue quite well.

Is the overall picture of Dexcom and finger sticks enhanced and better - hell yes.

Just realize for all thiose using high priced test gear where higher price should suggest a light step above from your $ 20 doillar finger stick machine. Nope -whoops that does not apply.

Yet in end with thr cgms of dexcom I have made excellent progress and understanding how to blend finger stick technology with current CGMS technology critical with staisfaction and overall excellent results.

Just carefully tailor your expectations and blend both instruments to get best overall results.
I have the Dex and my son has the MiniMed, I've seen him insert his sensor in his backside and it amazed me that he could do it, the inserter part looked gargantuan compared to the Dex. He lives alone and does it by himself; I'm lucky to have my husband to help out when I need it.
I am an arm user and vertically. The reason for the lack of arm site probably has to do
with the byzantine beauocracy that approved the dum answer. Many times committees end up at worst marginal solution
not the technically best. The arms are fed from the best source of blood from heart/liver.

It find ir mostly easy using other arm. Real big fracas is breaking off the clamping lever after clamping the xmit module to sensor. After that rest is easy. With one hand I hold sensor plate and then use a finger on same hand to break off the lever.
I, too, wear my Dexcom on my arm and have no problem inserting by my self. As a matter of fact, I think it is easier. I go vertical and it is usually about an inch below my shoulder. I take the Guard off usually before I put it on my arm, but even when I don't, the Guard comes out easily with one hand. Probably the only issue is to make sure the adhesive tape is on COMPLETELY and FLAT everywhere BEFORE insertion. If there are any wrinkles, I will left a small part of the tape up and reapply. This can weaken the adhesive, but it is essential to have the Sensor STAY on your arm, so the most important part of the entire process is indeed make sure the adhesive is as smooth and as consistent attached as possible. Remember, the Sensor is important for accuracy of readings, but it also is the home for the TRANSMITTER, which is expensive to replace!
He hasn't had great accuracy with the Dex on his arm, and had a lot of out of ranges when it was not out of range. They told him to replace it and this one is better, but is still not as accurate as his Navigator. He is wearing both for now to compare. My daughter has never worn them on her arms, but I find that her lower abs work better than upper. I am wondering if any of you have better accuracy when you use it in other areas than the arms? He really doesn't want to have to shave anywhere to put it on, and will likely continue with his Navigator until it breaks if the accuracy doesn't get better.
Has anyone noticed how often you become disconnected in a days time, when you actually are not away from it? Dexcom tried to tell him that it was normal, but what he was seeing was not normal at all. When you look at the Modal Day, you should have 288 readings in a day and some days are far less than that. It is usually only 5 minutes at a time, but it adds up. I told him that I think he looks at it far more than most people do, and that maybe he is a bit OCD about it and needs to relax a bit. I didn't realize how often he looks at the Navigator and that is why he notices each time it gets out of range with the Dex. If you look at the one hour, you should have 12 dots each hour or you have become disconnected. Moving from readings every minute to 5 minutes is not the best thing, but then when you actually only get less than that, it doesn't make him a fan at all.
He hasn't had any problem inserting it on his own arm though, thanks to all of your suggestions!
I'm still on my first sensor... but it was not "easy" getting it inserted. How the heck do you get it inserted on your arm?
View the video above.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHFs Newest Board Member: Andreas Stuhr

We are pleased to announce our newest board member Dr. Andreas Stuhr, Senior Medical director in Medical Diabetes for Sanofi North America. Dr. Stuhr has a phenomenal background in diabetes care including a medical focus in pediatric endocrinology and Read on! →

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service