I have now joined the exclusive club of G4 users who have had TWO G4s where the "rail" that keeps the USB port's sliding cover in place has broken. This time, it broke part-way off (see attached photo) at first, and later broke off completely. I called Customer Service today, and tried pinning the CSR down about this issue, and here's a recap of what I learned:
1) The purpose of the cover (according to this CSR) is I expected: to keep raindrops and dust out of the USB port. (Note: The G4 receiver is NOT waterproof if you drop it in the toilet; the cover merely adds a bit of splash resistance.)
2) Dexcom (or at least this CSR!) is willing to replace the G4 receiver even if this recurs.
3) Dexcom is getting sufficient reports that they now have a team working on a redesign. No idea when the redesign might be available.
4) The CSR said she's heard of this occurring with all colors. (I was sort of hoping it was only with my color & switching might solve the issue. Wishful thinking, but I think it was worth asking...)
I decided to sit tight with my present G4 and hope they get the fix fixed soon. The CSR assured me that my file at Dexcom now has a record of my call, and whenever I want I can call and check if they have the fix available, and at that time, I can replace my G4 with the improved model.
Hope they consider this enough of a priority that I don't have to wait forever.
So I guess I should call them? Ours broke in December but I haven't done anything about it - mostly because I hate how I can't merge records on the computer so I want to minimize the number of receivers I have. . .
I'd suggest that, yes, you should call them.
1) So they have your name and the device S/N on file and the problem on file. Apparently they're not presently planning on calling folks who report the problem whenever the redesign becomes available, but who knows?
2) So they see the magnitude of the problem is bigger than they thought -- and they should get their redesign available ASAP (to save them the money of sending out replacements if nothing else!)
I'm with you on that problem too. The door on mine came off 45 days after receipt.Dexcom replaced it with a new one which has started to chip in the same place. But since I can't merge the data I am hesitant to replace this one. I can live with it the way it is, and I don't close the door anyway. My Galaxy S3 phone doesn't have a sliding door to cover the USB port and nothing has gotten in there yet. So I figure I am pretty safe with this one.
I didn't do anything to my receiver. The door has just fallen off of it's own accord. I have the receiver securely on my belt in a tallygear case. I have not dropped the receiver either. And I too am very happy Dexcom is willing to replace it. I just with they could find a way for me to integrate the data from the first receiver with the data from the second.
You asked what we are doing to them; the simple answer is NOTHING. First time, I noticed it when disconnecting the cable; second time when I took it out of my pocket. Hadn't thrown them, and hadn't dropped them. Let us know when it happens to you...
I agree - although by this point my son's dexcom has suffered the abuse of a 12 year old (although he's pretty careful I know it's fallen off his and my nightstands and he wears it while playing sports) the rail broke off while we were sitting watching a football game and he asked us to close the cover on the port. As my husband slid it across the plastic just snapped.