I've just started it, I'm on my third sensor.

I sweat a lot and my sensor adhesive usually starts to break down after two days of activity. I like to use the hot tub too, and that breaks it down even more. I haven't taken it surfing, but I can only imagine...

Does anyone have tips on how to extend the life of the adhesive? I was thinking of using New-Skin liquid bandage and applying it around the perimeter of the sensor. Any adice is always appreciated!

Views: 1922

Replies to This Discussion

When I used the Navigator (version 1), I had similar problems. I ended up using Tagaderm, an IV transparent film dressing, to hold it in place (there are others by other makers). Look on the TuDiabetes web site--such dressings are discussed here by several others.

As discussed in many other threads, there are a number of adhesive helpers that will keep the sensor in place longer. I prefer the opti-flexifix tape. It works well for me. You mentioned that you like to use the hot tub. I was told that the hot tub will kill the sensor. Even when I used the Medtronic CGM, they said the same thing. Do you know something different? I would love to be able to use the hot tub without worrying about killing the sensor.
Thanks,

oh shoot.

I am on sensor number 9 and I have been using them on my upper arm about 4 to 5 inches down from my shoulder for me it works fine, same accuracy and I could sit in a hot tub and leave my arm out of the water.Might be worth a try.

Hi Donald, do you insert in your arm on your own or do you have someone that helps you. I would like to use my arm again but can't figure out how to get it there alone.

Sandy- have you figured it out yet?
I inserted in my arm all by myself- not sure if I can explain how, but if you still need some tips- I'd be happy to try and share.

Maggie

Sorry, the holidays were busy. I look in a mirror and turn sideways with all of the backing peeled off and the adhesive bowed backward I stick the center of the sensor pad and then starting with the top I work down the sides to the bottom. After the adhesive is holding all the way around it will hang by itself, then I squeeze the 2 tongs together with one hand and push up to make it drop off with the other hand hope this helps somehow, good luck

I use mastisol, it is surgical strength skin adhesive

Good adhesive, I use this also. i sweat and also use the hot tub atthe Y.

I just ordered opsite flexifix from amazon but it cost $7+ for shipping. No super saver on offer. I had to have it due to travel arrangements but I hope I can avoid the ship charge in future. I checked for local sites (CVS, Walgreens, RiteAid, KMart). Forgot walmart and target but .....

+1 with the opsite flexifix. I found it's cheapest from American Diabetes Wholesale and you can use the TuDiabetes discount code (TUDIAB7).

Thanks to Kelly WPA and Natasha Bowlds for this info in this discussion!

+2. It does get ugly by about the 2 week mark, but well worth it - the stuff just doesn't come off.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service