Just wondering if there is anyone out there that uses both!

I'm about to start the OmniPod on Tuesday (I have it, just have to go through "training") and I have been hearing about this CGM that works well.

It seems the OmniPod is difficult enough to get used to on its own and then throw in a CGM in there and seems to be a lot, but worth it if they work well, especially together.

Problem is, for the OmniPod, you have to test on the PDM it comes with so how would that work?

Any Advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Danielle

Views: 269

Replies to This Discussion

I recently heard from my trainer that the FDA is working on a trial version of the OmniPod and Dexcom in one. So OmniPod paired up with Dexcom's 7 and they are working to put out a pump with the CGM in it...something that like.

I will have to wait, due to all of your advice, until I get this omni pod figured out!

Thank you!
I use both and love it. I have had the omni pod for about six years, in the past year I got the Dex. I think the two work very well together. As far as checking on the PDM, it is a breeze. Just insert the strip as if it were any other bg meter and the screen prompts you as to what to do. What I like best is it does all the calculations for you. So, if your BG is high, and your going to eat, it calculates your correction along with the meal time bolous. The dex is helpful as well. I like to see the trends on my dex so I can pinpoint highs and lows and just what caused them. I also like how it alarms when I am going low, this has been a life saver. I think that if you are technically savvy, then it will be easy to use both the dex and the omni pod. I think people may make it seem harder than it is. I use both with ease and love it. Also, there is an omni pod group here, you should join if you have further questions. Good luck!!
I've had the Omnipod for about a year now and the Dex for only a few months. I'm currently pregnant and the Dex is great at giving me a snapshot of where to adjust my basals, which foods I need to extend boluses with and how to extend them properly and when my Omnipod is not working properly! I had an occlusion a few weeks ago and had my BG jump from 106 to 360 in just 45 minutes (just eaten breakfast) and the pod had not yet alarmed to alert me that it was no longer delivering insulin but my Dex alarmed like crazy. As long as you view your Dex as a tool and don't rely on it for it's accuracy in BG readings than you'll love it.....such an eyeopener!
Wow! I love all the responses, its very helpful! Now that I have been on the OmniPod for a month, I want to look into the Dexcom. I totally have the hang of the OmniPod, I think I'm a fast learner. My doc said if I'm ready for it; go for. Its already very expensive for me as a college student on the OmniPod so I doubt I can afford the Dexcom but we'll see what the insurance says. I'm paying 30% of the Omnipod, so I'm thinking that will be the same for the Dexcom.

As for adjustment issues; NOW my main concern is college. I made a quick and spontaneous decision a couple weeks ago and I'm not moving half way across the country for college to live in a dorm for the first time (It will be my junior year though). I'm nervous because of a busy lifestyle to start something new ontop of everything else. But maybe I'm thinking the opposite; maybe it will help me keep my BG in check during a hectic lifestyle. Any opinions?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service