Ive used a Navigator in the past and enjoyed it accuracy. When it dies and I couldnt get another I went with the Dexcom. The accuracy hasnt met my expectations BUT I still continue to use it because its the best if not only option.

about 20 days ago I put in a sensor that is remarkable for 2 reasons
1) its still going string after nearly 20 days - the receiver wont tell me exactly which is nuts but its got to be between 18 and 20 days - Ive never had one last this long
2) Its been reliable and accurate- 10 or more times its been with in 5 points of finger sticks - which has NEVER happened in the year or more Ive been using the Dex.

Not sure what the difference is but I hope I can get lucky again ....
The accuracy is much MORE important to me than the 20 days

Doug

Views: 192

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Doug,

I tried the Dex but loved Navigator more as well. I still use the Navigator and am currently in the process of buying a Nav. 1.5 from France that kicks in one hour istead of 10. The dang thing will cost me $2,300 but I am a diabetic disaster, not feeling my lows. I hope Ron Paul gets elected and takes down the stupid FDA. It it wasn't for the FDA we would have the Nav. available in the US. Can you believe that the Nav. it made in the US but sold in France, Israel (these are the only two countries that use our measuring system), UK, Germany, Switzerland, and a few others and it cannot be sold in the US because of the FDA? The Dex and Nav. had to go through an approx. 8 year time to make it through the FDA. Can you imagine using an 8 year old cell phone? We are being held back significantly because of the excessively large gov't. Vote for Ron Paul!
We are Diabetics in here...that's what brought us together not Politics.
It's been a polite forum for gentlemen and ladies.
Have not used the Navigator...so cannot comment on that. But the Dexcom is a pretty good unit from my perspective. As far as accuracy goes...most people say that the sensor is more accurate in week 2 than week 1...and some routinely get more than two weeks out of them. I too find that the accuracy is better in week two than week one, but I find more important the timing of the calibration relative to what the blood sugar is doing. If I calibrate when BS is changing dramatically, it will be less accurate. When calibration lines up with a fairly stable blood sugar, then subsequent BSs are more accurate. But honestly, I find that knowing my trend is the most important thing I need from the meter. Sharp rises or falling BS...overnight trends to calibrate basal, etc.

All that being said, my main beefs with the Dexcom unit are the forced reset every 7 days andn the relatively light construction of the receiver, which does notbstand up well to constant use. I am hopeful that the integration with the Animas pump (already available in UK as the Vibe) will eliminate both of these complaints.
That is surprising that you have not had this. Mine tends to be a little off on the first day but then dead on. Sometimes only 2 and 3 points off. Maybe it's placement. Just b/c the blood number and fluid number do not match up doesn't mean they aren't both correct if that makes sense
Where are you placing your sensor, Sandy?
Accuracy is more important, but the reason that I want a sensor to last 20+ days is because if it *is* accurate, I want to use it as long as poosible before throwing the dice on the next one.

So in a way, they go hand in hand.
well it lasted 22 days and started to get ??? and accuracy was going south so I changed it
The new one is more in line with my previous expectations - it says 150 Im at 100
it says 100 I'm at 190. Ill give it a couple days to settle in and see if it improves
Since I read that you could keep the sensor/transmitter on past 7 days, I've been doing that. I'm 14 days right now. The biggest thing I've noticed is that the numbers are closer to my finger stick readings. I like that it is more accurate. Before it was so unreliable...even 50-100 points off at times.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service