Views: 955

Replies to This Discussion

I have heard of folks being able to use them for three or more weeks. How do they do that. For me, some last a week to week and a half. When lucky, I get two weeks. Is there a trick to getting more use out of them?

Suzan

I also get more than a week. Two things happen ... either the calibration goes nutz (after about 12-14 days) or the adhesive REALLY starts to itch. I think I am somewhat allergic to the stuff. But 2 weeks is reasonable compared with the 3 days I hear you get with the MM.
Jeff

First sensor and I am starting week three today. Almost suspicious at how well it's going for me.
Site is back of left arm. I gave this a lot of thought and figured that this would get the least amount of
jiggling and bumping. Guess I was right.
I'm not wanting to try the stomach/belly as I do a lot of lifting and carrying.
And the thigh, think it would rub on my pants too much.

The tape still looks good, I got some serious IV tape, it's starting to lift and I may have to
apply more.

And I am loving the CGM more and more every day as I learn how and when to trust it.
Dr made some adjustments that we could have done before and I am already seeing better, more level readings.
Catching the lows before they go too low is huge for me.

very happy.
Maggie

Glad to hear it working out. Real issue here is once one understands the gronks of interstitial readings and the sensor and its 1st day coming up to better readings, one can better appreciate its help. As for gut, in my mind was waste of time, tons of points off - useless and others said the same.Looking at body physiology would suggest arms are closest to best source - accurate latest blood activity.

Generally I get readings Dexcom to caveman machine within 5 to 10 points but I take fingerprick on each hand and average finger readings. Some times one gets 135 on one hand and then 170 on the other hand. In that spread I take another reading on the high reading hand and many times a new reading gets within 5 to 15 points of the other lower reading hand. The interstialial and machine filter delays mean many times the CGMS is scrambling to catch up and yes one can see big point differences until body readings stable and cgms caught up.

My caveman machine can still track faster and more instantaneously fast moving glucose changes caused by liver dumps.

Frankly, a users guide to instruct a new user on the gronks and fun would be a great help enabling one to cope and work ones diabetes rather than debugging out the dexcom legitamate but heart stopping behavior and make DEXCOM look a better as well.

As I have been exercised thru all /most of the fun, it is now much easier and more satisfying.

Best of season and holidays to you.

caveman machine? love it!

re;user's guide. There is zip as far as this goes with Dexcom.
I was really surprised. Maybe as it is so personal per person and
apparently there is no overwhelming trend, they wouldn't want to commit to
a user's guide. But even examples of what can happen and what can be accomplished
(ie;good and bad) with the Dexcom would be hugely helpful.

I really couldn't figure out what to do with the triple?'s, nothing to offer as to what to do or expect in the user's manual.
It's this board and a friend on the other side of the country that totally helped me out.
Odd lack of information from Dexcom, no?

The longer it's in the better my readings. And I'm sure it's also that I am learning how to make the best use of the info and warnings. Learning.

Happy New Year all

Maggie

and pretty sure that I'll be sticking to the back of the arm. No other site makes any sense.

Great. Glad it worked out.

Lack of user manual - startup and special tips and techniques would be a winner on this type of product.

Glad I wasn't the only one noticing their user manual of 1 page of clean cellophane.

I suspect this is a result of protective legal advice..

Happy New Year as well.

I don't know that there is a trick. I've gotten a bit over 3 weeks. I think location is important - I find that if it's in a place where it doesn't get bumped/knocked it tends to last longer.

Lately? About 3 days! I've had terrible luck lately - don't know if a bad bunch came out or what. I have gotten up to 13 days but would LOVE to get 3 weeks.

My best is 14 days and my average is 12 days. I do not push it out on this as I like to pick when I shutdown and swap sensor usually in morning after inital body waltz getting up dancing with liver in a usually stable operating interval

i hear that if you agitate the site a little bit that it makes it read longer.

My personal belief is that how long a sensor will last will vary from person to person and is based on small variations in biochemistry and immune system response. I am consistently right around 10 days and then readings get too flakey and aren't worth putting up with. Once in a blue moon I can get 14 days. I never get longer than that no matter how securely it's taped.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service