New Dex User -- Looking for Help with Insertion and Site Rotation

Hi, Gang -- I've had my Dex for about three weeks now, and need some help when it comes to insertion, site rotation, and ... well ... pain.

First of all, that's some big needle! I made the mistake of putting it in my belly right at the exact point where the kitchen sink hits it when I'm standing there. Since that's a place I stand a lot, it got very sore and bruised. Had to switch before the week was up.

This morning I put it in my left hip. This location really hurts as well. Don't know if my pants are rubbing against it, but there doesn't appear to be a seam there, so who knows what the problem is.

1) What sites do you find as the most comfortable?
2) Does anyone use any kind of skin prep or numbing agent?
3) What method do you follow for site rotation of your Dex and your pump?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jan :-)

Views: 214

Replies to This Discussion

Really? On the side of your butt? I can't imagine. I wear mine on the side of my stomach above the pant line, my DE put the test sensor there and I had no issues with it. I have my own system now and put the first one there, this is only day 2 but I have no issues with it, I can't even feel it.

The needle is big but doesn't sting much for me, it is only there for a few seconds then it is gone.

Glad Richard mentioned this group. I am new to the system and probably will have lots of questions.
Hi Jan,
My 13 yr old son got a Dexcom a couple of months ago and wears it on the top of his butt cheek, alternating sides each time, and switching directions as well (cannula towards the spine or towards the side). He wears his Omnipod on his belly and arms, so we wanted a different body part for this new gadget. Several people on this community recommended it and it has been great for him, because it doesn't hurt at all to insert and is out of the way of every other activity. I put a 4"x4" piece of opsite flexfix tape over it so that it doesn't catch on his waistband. I insert it for him. It might be tricky to get it on by yourself back there, but may be worth a try.
--Cynthia
Cynthia,

I thought you weren't supposed to cover the transmitter completely.

Linda
Hi Linda,
Thanks for the info -- I didn't know that.
-Cynthia
Cynthia, I'd like to get some Opsite Flexifit and try it out. I've heard it's great.

Where do you buy yours from?
Jan, I get it online from Edgepark.
I'm using the transparent Tegaderm, and was told it's fine to cover it completely. After all, the sensor certainly sends signals through your clothes!

As for what you're using, Cynthia, you can test it yourself and see if the Dex is less accurate when you cover it with the Opsite.
yes-- now I'm interested to try it without anything to compare.
I have also covered the transmitter completely. I usually do not do this until the adhesive starts to come up on the corners and have never noticed a difference between covered readings and regular ones.
Really? I was gifted a bunch of large tegaderm - 1/2 fits perfectly over the sensor and extends beyond the adhesive. I've been cutting holes in them for the transmitter. Sure would be easier not to!
Yes, I was cutting holes as well. That's when someone told me I didn't need to. So far, my readings have still been really good.
I remember someone else mentioning when water got under the transmitter they would get the dreaded ???. Maybe if you cover it and you are a naturally sweaty person this may cause the ??? to rear it's ugly head and that is why Dexcom says don't cover it? I am not a sweaty person so maybe that is why it is never a problem for me? Just taking a wild stab at the reason why Dexcom says don't do it.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MasterLab through the eyes of the community

The Diabetes Hands Foundation would like to thank everyone for attending the diabetes advocates MasterLab on July 2nd 2014. MasterLab was about building a sense of what is possible and designed to give advocates a chance to learn from veteran Read on! →

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service