I've been using the Dexcom 7 system for a little over two years. When I first started I had insurance coverage. However now that I am on Medicare I must pay for the sensors and system myself. So ... as a result I try to get as many days as possible from each sensor. Usually I mange between 10 - 14 days with no problems before needing to remove the sensor.

However.....last night I woke during the night with horrible pain in my leg where the sensor was inserted. I tried to ignore said pain until morning when I thought it might go away. Come morning it had not gone away so regretfully I removed it and inserted a new one. I had 19 days with the sensor I removed. Has anyone else had problems with wearing the sensor too long? I know the FDA approved the sensor for 7 days only but the FDA isn't paying for my sensors, I am.

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

...how do you keep it from peeling off? the adhesive system peels off too soon in my case.
yes, i try to wear my sensor as long as the reading are good..on avg...10-14 days...never get any pain, and because all that is inside your body is this small piece of electrode, it should not cause any problems being inside you..i have never had any pain from wearing the sensor at all
I had trouble when I wore my sensor on my stomach - soreness and the adhesive letting go. Since I've moved to my outer upper arm, I haven't had a problem with soreness or adhesive. Maybe once or twice the site was itchy after I had been wearing the sensor for 2 weeks... but not the pain I had with my stomach. I'm running 2 weeks max with mine though.
I use very narrow pieces of hypo allergenic tape over the adhesive part of the system. It does tend to peel off too soon for me also.

This is the first time I've had pain from the sensor electrode also. With the Sure-T infusion set I wear, I have to change it every 2 days or else it begins to itch like crazy.
the only problem i have had is with itching, but i rarely get more than 10-14 days from my sensors.
30 days is the most for me. I usually get 21+ from them. Never had a problem with a sensor site and I stick with my arms and legs for placement. Four good pieces of Flexifix at startup does the trick keeping the sensor on. If it starts to come up I trim the edges and apply more.
Thank you for the heads up on medicare which I will be going on in a few years! I was thinking that they would not pay for this, so today my sensor ended, I stopped it and restarted it, so I will see how long I can
go. Even though insurance pays for this, I never have an extra one in case something happens so by prolonging a few, I might have a few extra in case of emergency when I travel as it would sometimes be difficult to fedex to some places where I go! Thanks. I will let you know.
My current insurance covers sensors, but I still try to get more than a week out of them because they are so "well-trained" by the end of the first week I hate to see them go!
Today is my 21st day with a sensor. (I pay for mine myself as well, so I'm going to keep using it until it stops working or tells me wacky sugars.) It's still accurate and it doesn't hurt at all. It itches a little bit sometimes, but that's more the tape surrounding the sensor than the sensor itself. I mean, I guess I'll see what it looks like once I take it off - maybe it will be horribly puffy or something, but it doesn't hurt yet.
I understand your problem. My group insurance is Medicare/MVP, and now I do not have coverage either. I have used only two sensors since October. I may never get to use my Dexcom again. those sensors are sooo expensive.

I average 14-15 days with the sensors. I know someone said he got more than 30 days with one. He did not say it caused him any problems, or pain. Did you have a bump/scar tissue?
Richard157

I have a small bump at the sensor site and a bruise the size of a half dollar. However I do bruise easily anyway. I agree with you, the sensors are sooooo expensive. The Dexcom people said that my receiver is guaranteed for one year and no more. At the end of that time period I will probably have to quit the Dexcom too. I will miss it terribly.
Mayumi, there are Dexcom users who have used a receiver and transmitter for six months or more beyond the first year. If your transmitter and receiver have not been abused, they may last many months longer than you are thinking, There are also users who have had success with sensors that had expired for many months. I have at least 7 sensors that expired on Jan 1. My Dexcom is shut down. I could turn on my transmitter when I have scheduled trips this year and use my Dexcom then. That should work well, normally, but I have misplaced my transmitter. I have spent hours looking for it, so I guess I am stuck with a good receiver and sensors, but no transmitter. My BGs will probably be unstable on those trips, they usually are. My overall control is very good with my pump, so I am not going to worry about it.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service