I've been using the Dexcom 7 system for a little over two years. When I first started I had insurance coverage. However now that I am on Medicare I must pay for the sensors and system myself. So ... as a result I try to get as many days as possible from each sensor. Usually I mange between 10 - 14 days with no problems before needing to remove the sensor.

However.....last night I woke during the night with horrible pain in my leg where the sensor was inserted. I tried to ignore said pain until morning when I thought it might go away. Come morning it had not gone away so regretfully I removed it and inserted a new one. I had 19 days with the sensor I removed. Has anyone else had problems with wearing the sensor too long? I know the FDA approved the sensor for 7 days only but the FDA isn't paying for my sensors, I am.

Views: 41

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my, how frustrating for you to have the one piece you need to complete your system turn up 'missing'. If you could purchase another transmitter I suppose it would be really expensive?
My research shows $941 for a transmitter, and it is advertised to last only 6 months, but users say it can last much longer. I cannot afford that. I have been type 1 for 65 years, and I am healthy. I was spoiled by my Dexcom for 8 months, but I can obviously get along very well without it.
I also get a good 14 days out of my sensor, usually try for more though. Only one time, I think about 18 days or so, sensor had quit reading so when I began to remove it and got to the wire portion, it was stuck in me - like I had begun to "heal" around the wire. It hurt when I gently tugged on it, so I wound up taking a q-tip with some antibiotic cream on it to kind of help work the wire and skin loose. But I had a pretty good bump where the wire was inserted for a couple of days, and a bit redder than normal. I kept antibiotic cream on that site longer than I normally do afterwards also. Since we are inserting "foreign object" into our bodies, I wonder if something like that may have begun to happen to you?
Korrie - This sensor that started giving me pain had actually been inserted 24 hours prior to the time I "started" it. When possible I like to give the sensor an extra warming up period prior to start. Maybe my body is telling me "hey, you can go 14 days and no more". I wonder how people go any longer without trouble? If this sensor had not started giving me grief I think I could have gone a lot longer. The readings it was giving me were quite close to actual readings from my BG meter.
If this was a new sensor, I will bet that you managed to get it to close to a nerve ending or to near the muscle tissue and that was what began to cause pain. I have had one that I inserted above the belly button (I can pinch, just not as much of a pinch as below the belly button {LOL!} ). Anyway, this one was a bleeder. A good bleeder. Hurt. So called Dex Tech, I had started the sensor to see what it would do, but i was getting lots of ??? at startup. I managed to save the sensor, got almost 2 weeks out of it - used a warm cloth and a heating pad on low heat to help break up the pooled blood. (Hey, I am cheap, what can I say. Even with insurance which I am so thankful for, these blooming things are expensive!). Pretty bruise though, looked like I had been elbowed pretty hard!
For you though, probably it was just the luck of the insertion and that is what caused you pain. It really seems that most people do fine getting 2 weeks out of their Dex sensors, those that are able to go for more YEA!
Did you call Dex? Maybe they could have sent you a replacement?
I usually get better results the second week than the first week.
But last night (Day 11), it went crazy while I slept. I only saw it this morning when I woke up to ???.
But then it corrected itself. Who knows the mystery of the Dex. This is the first time I have worn it on my right Arm (active arm).

Mine sometimes goes to ??? when I sleep on that specific arm. I can tell how many times I roll over at night by the blanks in the data ;)
Thank you daricel........I've noticed "gaps" in my data printouts too and always wondered why it happened. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service