Hello!

I am thinking of going on the dexcom... How does it feel when you insert it? Where are the acceptable sites? Any suggestions? I once tried the minimed sensor and I hated it.... Any advice will help. Thank you!,

Views: 515

Replies to This Discussion

Just a note about the quads. I understand your concern about the quads, but think about it before completely dismissing it. :) I road bike quite a bit and I place the sensor mid-thigh. My biking shorts cover the sensor and provide a decent amount of protection for it. 

A lot of people in this group use the back of their arms. I have yet to try that. Here's a great video on it: http://www.tudiabetes.org/video/dex-on-arm

My experience, though limited, is that they both felt about the same. Like and injection, or a finger stick, sometimes I do it in such a way that it hurts, but not often, that's life.
The only real discomfort I had with the Medtronic, was when working on a boat and leaned against it heavily, for some time, as I was working in a confined space. That made it bleed a little. Otherwise, i couldn't tell the difference really.
The "approved sites" are basically what the FDA says they can advertise. I see others with their transmitters stuck in all kinds of places, but I stick to the general abdomen area.
Hope this helps you,

Like many here have pointed out its hardest at first inserting but then you just get use to it you will hardly feel it. I started in the tummy area as Dexcom suggested but after trying to make it last more then 7 days I realized that the tummy area was not the best place (I leave the tummy area for the pump only now). I mainly use the top buttock area just under the waist line on the side not to far back and its perfect! I get great readings and I don't even feel it. Even insertion is less painful then the tummy area and the big plus is I get 3 almost 4 weeks out of my sensors now.

Yadie, I weigh 191 (only 6 pounds above my ideal weight), but When i have the sensor on my side and sleep on that side, I get poor numbers and false alarms. It is also hard for my transmitter to communicate with my receiver then, and I can get the "out of range" indicator too.

Hmmm I usually start seeing problems around the 3rd week, mostly the ???, but when I usually start seeing this I know its time to change the sensor.

I've had Dex for a few months now and have been putting it on my belly. I've found it to be pretty painful to put it there. Just this past week Monday I put it on the back of my arm and it wasn't painful at all. This will be the first time I try and leave it on longer than the seven days.

I have no pain upon insertion or otherwise except on very rare occasion, when I feel a pinch for a split second. I am currently only using my abdomen, sometimes readings not accurate. It took a bit of time before I summoned up the courage to do my first insertion, as the unit looked intimidating. But it really doesn't hurt. As I have been reading from other posters, apparently they do have some pain. Maybe they are very lean people? I'm high-normal weight, but have belly fat. Maybe that's why. My pump insertion doesn't hurt either, except on rare occasion I get the pinch just like on my Dexcom. I am supposing that this is just an individual sensitivity issue, so we can't go by a couple of people's pain experiences. We just gotta try it! I must say, though, that my abdomen readings aren't extremely accurate most of the time. Dexcom says that there is a 20% margin of error, which to me is a LOT especially if you're going low. If Dex says 80 but you're really 64, you then might think you have a little time before you have to eat something b/c you are right in the middle of a phone call or whatnot. However, by the time you get to treating the low you are waay in the hole. Maybe trying another insertion point as others have done will work? I find I am using the same number of test strips as I did before the Dex because I get nervous about lows.

Hi Cara1028,

I just replied to something similar to your question in this group of discussions, in the , Adhesive Reaction group.

I have been using pumps and CGMs for a while. I just started to use the DexCom system within the last couple of months.

I have a Medtronic "Revel" which is the combined cgm and pump. But, that minor freedom of no cables/tubes on the equipment and the point of insertion, is just too great to pass up. I tried the OmniPod and I use the Minimed for backup, but only when I have to.

The Minimed has kick butt software. Beyond a doubt. And if you use their pump and their CGM, you can really recieve great information from their site, even though, you can only upload data, and then access their reports. And after I got less retentive about the whole information thing, and as I became acclimated to CGM trending and just chilling out, I could care less where the information is kept.

Sidebar: As I became acclimated to a CGM and the ability of seeing trend information and how my body and disciplines act on my blood sugars, I became more relaxed about everything. But, with a CGM, and a less need to be hyper about your sugars, rising falling, highs and lows, much lower risk of hypoglycemia, and if you do have an episode a much easier corrective action. It requires some adjustment by the diabetic.

It is as if someone gave you a administrative assistant to keep track of the diabetic, stuff.

So, I think the CGM is required for all diabetics, type 1 or 2. It's the only reliable way.

Medtronic, their informational reports are outstanding. But, with corrective action and adjustment able to take place so quickly on trend data from a CGM, you really don't need the "ah-hah" reports that Medtronic has built. Mind you, they are great if someone is out of control and needs all the bells and whistles, but if you are pumping and use a CGM and have lost you hyper-reactivity to your blood sugars, these reports only deplete the rain forest. But then that means you are part of the next generation.

Deficits of Medtronic; excessive alarms if you activate them, and shortage of range from your sensor and receiver. These are a part of their growing obsolete technology. Mind you. If you get and use just a Medtronic Revel which has the CGM, you will stay in control and get great A1c'S. The overuse of alarms are in place from prior transitioning non-pumpers to a pump and their concerns for risk factors that disappear with the use of a pump and a CGM.

I will continue to use the DexCom and Omnipod systems. I will keep my backup Medtronic "Revel" as a backup should I need it. I could say I am blessed for having both, although, I would rather not use that expression, but, it is, probably appropriate. I believe that I have sensitive skin and it reacts to the adhesive on the DexCom, and I am currently trying some work arounds so that I can still use the DexCom for longer than 3 or 4 days. But I have sensitivities and allergies that people most do not.

Sooooooo, I hope this helped and wish you the best of luck, and hopefully helps rightsize some expectations, and doesn't raise new fears or anxieties,

Tom

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service