I am going on a cruise in a month and would like to know what parts of the Dexcom can go in water ...pools and beaches.

Views: 89

Replies to This Discussion

Only the sensor and transmitter.. don't get the receiver anywhere near the wet stuff :)
The transmitter (the part stuck to your body) is waterproof but the receiver (display device) is not. When I go to the beach, I usually put it in a waterproof camera case and wrap it up in a light colored towel so it doesn't get too warm in the sun. Enjoy your cruise, jealous as I look out the window at snow. Dan
I had one Dexcom receiver that got wet from a wave in a Kayak and it failed. I had a second (older) one that went through the wash and it worked fine after it dried out -- go figure!
strange!

if it happens again, put the receiver in a big bowl of dry rice for a couple days. It sucks the water out!
Mine went through the wash also and survived. I was amazed.
Although the transmitter is waterproof, unless you get a waterproof bag for the receiver, you won't have readings during that time - and for my son sometimes if a little water gets under the transmitter it will stop working for a little, but then resume transmitting after it dries out.
I've used those before as durable food bags on backpacking trips. They weren't as durable as I had wished for, but they do last quite a while (at least 10x the life of a regular ziplock.) There's a kayaking company that makes a thicker one that I might go for, especially since it doesn't have text all over it.
I haven't bought that type yet, but I probably will these season once I start kayaking. I've seen them at sports stores here, and they seem very durable and would seal to be waterproof reliably. I'll report back later in the year when I know for sure.

I did have a few aloksaks, and used them for holding sandwiches and other food things in college. They are essentially a ziplock bag which is quite a bit thicker and has wider seams. They did last a while, but do wear through. They would probably be fine as a water repellent, like if you are in the rain or something splashing. I wouldn't rely on them for waterproofness though, like kayaking where it could potentially be submerged. Just my 2 cents.
I went to the store today but didn't find those specific ones. I got an Aquapac instead. It was the smallest version which I can't even find on their website, but it holds a Dexcom perfectly. Wast $20
i bought the akona and it holds my meter, strips, pen, pump and camera :) Ready for snorkeling!
$25 on amazon
any recommendations for a bag? I just ordered the akona bag. I am so paranoid that some condensation will get in !

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service