There is a stale post on this, and I thought it might be worth asking where people have tried the sensor other than the abdomen. I'm considering my upper thigh with the next one.

All reports of any successful or unsuccessful experiments are appreciated (even though the FDA might not feel the same way).

Thanks.

Views: 679

Replies to This Discussion

That might be why you start but there's lots of other reasons why you'd keep going!
I know. Most likely I could drop a couple of pills that I am on. I am just so lazy.
I am liking the spot between the hip bone and the ribs, as far around to my back as I can twist (which puts it just around the corner from my side). The only down side seems to be that this is a spot that seems to get a lot of stretching in yoga...but I've been watching the tape and applying liquid bandage to get it stuck back down.
I tried putting a sensor in the upper portion on my "Bum", just below where a pair of ladies bikini's would sit. It worked for a day, and then, yesterday morning, I was sitting up in bed, propped up with pillows, and received a sensor error. . . hmmmnn.

Not sure if sitting in that unual position (I'm not really one to watch a whole movie sitting up in bed, shoot, I hardly get to sit still that long!) caused the failure or not. Tried to restart the sensor, no good. Left it alone overnight, and restarted it took my calibration BG's this morning, if it gets flaky or fails again, guess I'll just call Dex com and see if they could replace the sensor. But this is the first time I'm trying a site other than belly, so that's not a whole lot of info to base an opinion on. Think I'm going to try upper abdomen next time, not sure I like the bum area, I keep getting snagged, LOL.
I've been using my upper thigh for years, never had problems with it. I just make sure the snap-down part is facing my feet, to avoid pooling moisture in the shower.
I use outer thighs, arms and belly for infusion sites, was hoping the "bum" area would work out better for a CGMS than it does for an infusion set, but it's not looking great so far. I do worry a bit about skin fatigue, I've got plenty of lumpy spots from years of glass and metal syringes, don't want to make itany worse than it already is!

I am very interested in alternative sites as well. I think a better approach to this post would be to describe what the alternative areas are like, because one person's thigh may be nothing like the next's, and whether the Dexcom works well there are not depends more on the tissue it's in than where on the body it is. Dexcom works pretty well on my abdomen, except in the summer, not quite sure why. I've never been able to get more than 10 days out of it though like some people. I have a pretty lean abdomen, muscular, but still have a small "diabetes" pooch under my belly button, and I've found I get the best and longest lasting performance when I put sensors there. I just now put a new sensor on my upper inner thigh, which is the softest (most pinchable) part of my thigh. My theory from my abdomen experiences is that the dexcom likes softer places (like maybe with more fat), what do y'all think and how does it match up to luck with alternative sites?

Lower back horizontal is a winner. Soft tissue and out of the way.

As for Dex liking softer places with more fat.......I am a 'fluffy' person and when
I had it on my fluffy spots, abdomen, my readings were way out of whack. Someone suggested using my thighs(not 'fluffy') and now my readings are much better.

My favorite spot is on my upper arms, on the top of the arm near where the arm meets the armpit. To put it on one-handed I sit sideways in a chair with no arms and push my arm against the back of the chair to simulate pinching it up. It does help if my husband is there to help rock the inserter forward to remove.

On my arms, I have the most accurate results with no ??? (knock on wood!). In the location I described you can't see the sensor under a short sleeve shirt either. I honestly forget even which arm I have it on. I'm careful when pulling a shirt off not to dislodge the sensor.

I've also used the inner thigh successfully but found it more bothersome when changing pants, going to the bathroom, crossing legs when sitting, and just more aware that it's there. The accuracy was good for me on the thigh though.

The least accurate place in my experience has been my abdomen. I don't mind wearing it there; it just doesn't seem to work as well there for me...lots of ??? and inaccurate tracking of numbers.

I really like the arm too. I usually put it halfway between my armpit and my elbow cause there's a little more "meat" there. I just go from one arm to the other. It's placed directly on top of my arm and never seems to get in the way while sleeping, etc.

It's important not to put it where you'll be sleeping on it. The pressure messes up the readings.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service