I am a current college student and i take my diabetic alert dog Dutchess with me. I have had here since the August and she is doing so well so far. My issue is that i get people who come up to her and try to give her commands which she never listens too. Need some advice on how to deal with these people. Then there is the people i tell them not to pet who continue to pet her. My trainer told me not to have people pet her.

Views: 114

Replies to This Discussion

Get a Do Not Pet badge or patch. When I tell people they can't pet, I put myself between them and the dog and explain that their scent will interfere with his (my dog's) ability to scent me which is how he does his job. If that doesn't work, I walk away. You can always let them know it is illegal to interfere with a working service dog. (Most states have laws to this effect.)
I actually have a patch but the funny thing is everyone ignores it. I will have to try putting myself between the person and my dog Dutchess. I will mention that to the next person who trys to bark commands at her.
Unfortunately, college is full of "college kids", but since they want to think of themselves as "adults" it is time for them to be treated like an adult. Get a serious look on your face and a serious tone to your voice. Say "it really is important that you stop petting my service dog"...then tell your dog "lets go" then leave. For those giving your dog commands say "you really must stop doing that" and again, leave. You can follow it up IF YOU NEED TO with "my dog and I are protected from interference by the Federal ADA laws". In closing I am wondering if you have the "DO NOT PET" patch? Since my service dog is a white, fluffy standard poodle, I needed that patch and it does help.... HTH
I just added the patch not too long ago but most people especially college students don't bother to read the patches. I try to plan my classes around the time of days there is less students on campus if at all possible. I am really frustrated had issues with on on Tuesday with a guy barking commands at her even trying had signals and it really upset me because he acted like he was not doing anything wrong.
Adults don't bother reading the patch, either.

If a polite but firm warning does not work, talk to the dog. "Ignore the stupid person, Dutchess. He can't help that he's an idiot." Treat her well for ignoring commands from other people. Dogs don't care about the size of the treat. They'd rather have 5 1oz treats, one at a time, than a single 5oz one. When someone gives a command and she looks to you instead of them, give her some treats.
I have been fortunate when people are barking commands at her she does not respond at all. She always looks at me for her commands and the last time that happened i did treat her for not responding. I am just upset that people think that my service dog is there for their amusement.
Oh yeah. It happens. Everywhere. Major pain in the youknow.

Contact the school newspaper and ask them if the would do a small interview of you or let you write a short letter to the editor or whatever. It IS a place of education and they need to be educated on the proper SD etiquette.

My retired SD is a big Rottweiler. I thought I'd never be disturbed. Boy was I wrong. Whistling, kissy noises, finger snapping, petting without asking, etc etc.
It is amazing how many times a day I have to tell people not to pet, he's working. The worst offenders.....ADULTS. Most kids ask. Adults just coo "oh! a Dog!" and start petting.
Just be consistent in your message and eventually the people you see most often will get the message.
I know they are the worst offenders. I do actually have kids ask more frequently to pet. Adults also don't read the patches either most of the time. My worst time in a store in Oklahoma City when i was training with Dutchess these kids were throwing items at my dog in the store. I go the store manager and the called the police. He said the kids were breaking the law and he preferred the kids to deal with the cops to learn a lesson. I was happy that the manager took that route. The kids were around 12 or 13. I know they looked scared to death and the parents were not happy.
I've had these problems around school too. I'm in high school, so I get to deal with some very immature people...After good talking to, theyve started backing off. Of course, I had to talk to them because school teachers have no effect. I clearly stated the laws that protect service dogs here in Georgia and what the punnishment for distracting a service dog is. I think it scared them, but I cant say I really care.
The one guy who was bugging me i told him i could die if my dog stopped alerting and after that he has left us alone. Thankfully now people are leaving us alone for the most part. The interesting part is that you think a college student would be a little more mature but i guess not.
Perhaps use a more aggressive sign...like, "petting this dog could cost my life" with Diabetic Alert Dog...perhaps post some signs up on school posting places saying if you see me with Duchess please understand this dog alerts me if I am in danger of low blood sugars which could cost me my life...Please Do Not Pet Her it confuses her and she can't do her job...also leave brochures describing what Type I is...many people have absolutely no idea...I had no idea and my 7 year old got it and I thought we could go to the pediatrician the next day and get some medicine to clear it up....so most are totally ignorant...I was. I thought diabetes was something people got if they ate junk all the time and didn't exercise.

I am happy for you that you have Duchess..what a gift..I want one for my daughter but we live on the east coast and there is currently no place I am aware of near me besides the cost is high. I would love to learn to train the right dog for Olivia so she has that extra protection. Olivia is 9 now and I need to get working on it as she will be heading into puberty and the doctor told me we will experience some wacky numbers...if anyone has any advice how to pick a dog, what traits do I look for...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service