Hi everyone,

Our family is happy to share that our son Noah (who is 10) will have a Diabetes Alert Dog.

What started it all... I saw a post on here last year about DADs and started digging and found a non-profit foundation that trains DADs and other medical assistance dogs.

We applied and got accepted a couple of weeks ago. We have to do some fund-raising to pay for the training, but that's okay with us. It usually takes from 2 and 1/2 to 3 years before we get the dog fully trained, which is a very long time! The foundation started a new project that could shorten that time. Noah is going to visit his future DAD in training, where he will be able to pet and play with the dog and no one else (besides the trainer) will get that privilege. We went to see the dog for the first time last week. Noah named her Adora. She is a 2 month old English Cocker Spaniel. She is so cute and the connexion with Noah was there like magic! It was nice to be a witness of those beautiful moments!

I will post some news once in while, take care!

Gina

Views: 218

Replies to This Discussion

Gina,
thats great! Where are you getting the DAD?

Thank you Kathy for your reply!

It is a foundation in Quebec, Canada called Fondation CORAZON du Quebec, it is not know in the English community as its website is in French only. The co-founder talks some English as she used to train dogs in Ontario, Canada. I don't know where you are in the world but they provide dogs in Canada and even Europe, so I am sure that they would be open to do the same for other countries too.

Gina, I am so pleased to hear this! DAD's are wonderful, and Noah will have such great protection for many years ahead. I know several facebook friends who post about the DAD's who protect their kids. One friend stopped using the CGM for her son, because his DAD is much more accurate!!!

I want to thank you Richard! It is one of your comments on the DADs' Group that got me looking into DADs (the comment about the article in Diabetes Health magazine) so we are truly grateful that you wrote that!! Adora (Noah's future DAD) will help tremendously because Noah usually doesn't feel his lows or highs! When he's awake by observing him we usually know, but what scares us the most are nights, because he doesn't wake up, so we have to think of everything, before going to bed, to see if there is a need for us to check his bg during the night (what did he eat, did he eat too little to sustain his bg, did he exercise...). You can't put a price on how much of a relief Adora will bring us!

Thank you for you reply and your kind words!

Thanks for telling me that, Gina. I am so pleased for Noah! There is mucg talk on Facebook about DADs. I don't see much about them on the D websites.

Thanks for that info too, I have made a Facebook page for Noah last week but didn't think of looking for others in the same situation!

Gina, write a message to Lorrie Rin. Her DAD is named Hope and her T1 daughter is about 4 now, I think. They love Hope. She is the one who says her DAD is better than a CGM. She gives great advice and help to others who are inquiring about DADs.

Thank you again Richard :) I will look it up! It is always good to be well informed ;)

I found Lorrie Rin on Facebook but cannot send a message or a friend request, is she on tudiabetes too?

I can message Lorrie and see what is going on there. I have not seen her post in her group for awhile now. It is called the "T1 Hangout".

Gina, Lorrie and her daughter and their DAD have been to Disney, so they were away for awhile. She sent me a message today. I have requested your friendship. I will send you a message with Lorrie's email. She said to give it to you. Here is a video of the three of them at home.

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-child-with-diabetes-finds-hope-in-fourl...

Thank you Richard for that link, I watched it (and liked it ;) ). Wow, it's nice to see them enjoy life now! Can't wait to hear some more!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service