Hello. My son (age 5) and I (T1 since age 8) are both T1 diabetic. I am interested in obtaining a Diabetic Alert Dog through Warren Retrievers, mainly for my son. Has anyone ever fundraised to come up with the money for their DAD? If so, were you successful? Do you have any suggestions?

Views: 822

Replies to This Discussion

How much do you need to raise to buy the dog?
Between 8 and 20 thousand
Also consider food, health care for the dog, etc.
I would do whatever I could to fundraise for my daughter. I want to get her a DAD also. You could ask family members to donate. Bake sales at all summer sporting events at your Childs school, a great way to make money. Do a walk a thon with sponsors. Yard sales....Exchange a service for donations...just a few ideas to try...
There are several non profit organizations that train DAD's. One is Early Alert Canines in the SF bay area. You can contact them through their website... www.earlyalertcanines.org. There are some fees involved...application and materials fee, but we're talking a couple of hundred dollars, not thousands. This is a reputable organization being run by the former director of Dogs4Diabetics.
You might consider going with a non-profit organization that doesn't charge you for the dog rather than having to fundraise, although if you wanted to raise money you could fundraise for that specific organization. The one I'm most familiar with is Early Alert Canines, a non-profit that provides diabetes alert dogs....
Roxxane,

My wife and I are currently looking into working through Warren Retrievers as well. We just started talking with them this week (although we've already racked up hours and hours with them!). I will be speaking with Sue on their team about methods and realities of fund raising and will happily report what I learn here as well. When speaking with Dan, he mentioned a pretty significant list of already establisheed corporate relationships that could be leveraged, but it is still a hefty and scary sum to be accountable for. One thing I will be asking is about raising funds prior to getting (or committing to) a dog to allow sufficieint time to cover the costs.

I am not a good traditional fund-raiser, but I have no problem with some of the other techniques they suggested like Kroger's dojnating a % of supermarket receipts while you are set up with a table at the entrance. Things whereI am not directly asking for money from folks is much easier for me.

Being 42, I also don't have the advantage of being an adorable child or two!

I realize you poseted a few months back, so if you've gotten more info, please fill me in!

Chris
Chris,

We actually received our DAD from Warren on July 14. Jasper will be primarily bonded with my 5 year old T1 son, but has already alerted for my lows twice. He is AMAZING! The price is super scary!!! I really hesitated due to the cost. I have not had a whole lot of luck with their "corporate relationships". (actually ZERO luck with that so far) But we have raised almost 1/3 of the total cost already! People in our community have been so generous. Good luck and feel free to send me a message with any questions! Are you on FB? Dan's page, Diabetic Alert Dogs by Warren Retrievers, offers a lot of encouragement from real clients.
Does anyone know if someone from Canada can get a diabetic alert dog. I am a Type 1 diabetic who does not feel low blood sugar and have gastroparesis which makes it very hard to treat my low. As well, my son is a Type 1 diabetic since last November and he has ADHD and can get distracted and not be aware of his low and a DAD would be great for both of us!! Any info is apprciate.
What part of Canada are you located?
Hi Maureen,

We live in Montreal, Quebec (Canada). This would be fantastic for our family!!!!

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you,

Jodi
Never fund raised. I havea heard that Warren Retrivers are highly regarded, in this field.
Yes, Warren Retrievers is a reputable organization.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service