Have you worked with someone in training your dog? Did you like them enough to recommend? Were they so incompetent (in terms of DAD training) that you would never recommend?

Know of any lists that already exists?

This list isn't for agencies that provide trained dogs unless they also work with training your own dog.

(name, contact info, location, etc)

Views: 411

Replies to This Discussion

I know of two Diabetic Alert Dog Trainers Dee Bogetti @ www.deethedogtrainer.com based in Virginia and Diane Marquette @ www.scentangels.com located in Minnesota but both will work via phone and/or internet with pet owner trainers.  I have met and worked with both organizations and they hold high service dog standards.  

Additionally, I would suggest finding a good dog trainer to help assess your dog as possible service dog material or to start you off in regular obedience training.  There are probably many in your area (go observe some classes to find a fit, I do not recommend Petco & Petsmart for this).  Taking the CGC test (Canine Good Citizen test, $15 in most areas, call around for testing places and dates) is another good place to assess if your dog's personality will hold up under the pressures of public access.

I have just received a very nasty email from Diane Marquette at Scent Angels. I am very discouraged. She mostly had negative things to say about my breed choice, which is a Maltese I have already purchased and am training on basic obedience.

I am very surprised that she would send a nasty email to anyone....Others that have contacted her reported back to me that she is nice although straightforward. I supposed she is entitled to her opinions regarding small dogs as service dog choices..... I do know that most trainers choose medium sized dogs. I also know that there are some small dogs doing this (however, I suppose it would be harder on very small dogs when out in public).

Did you try Dee the Dog Trainer too? I have heard of a new lady (Mary McNight) that is helping people through http://diabeticalertdoguniversity.com Training help through Webinars (? spelling). Another new program to Diabetic Alert Training are Scott and Mark at Tidewater K9 they sell videos.

I had a reply to your message, and somehow it got deleted. Thank you for the resources, and your encouragement, Ann. I really appreciate it. I will keep moving forward.

I went to the alert dog university page, and there isn't a contact, or an application. Do you have any contact information for Mary McKnight?
Mary

I found Mary McKnight on YouTube: It is long but I think very thorough, I cannot remember but hopefully her contact information is at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdOJ6PxehZE&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, Ann! This is GREAT!

I want to let everyone know that I received an apology email from Diane. She was having a very bad week. She offered me some help, and was very gracious. I am so relieved, and all is forgiven.

I may take my pup and go to meet with her. I am considering all options at this point. Zoe is so responsive and is learning her basic commands very quickly. I work with her every day.

I am grateful to everyone here for all the info and support. Thank you.

I have about 60 kennels and trainers listed in my favorites. I have been doning research.
When I figure out how to put them in, I will do it.

Canada, there is an international group that places dogs, all over the world

I am located in Ontario, Canada. The breed I chose is a Maltese. My pup is 4 months old, and learning obedience. She is loving, smart, eager to please, and learns very quickly.

My issue is that I can't find anyone that knows anything about training a DAD. I could work with a trainer through videos and phone, or I could travel and do a one week intensive with my pup.

I have had such a hard time staying in control of my brittle, T1 diabetes, for 20 years. This is my last ditch effort to have a little friend that keeps me accountable.

I guess I don't have a question, I am just looking for support.
Thank you,
Mary

I have a question. What do various people do to collect scent samples? For instance, what do you use - gauze pad, cotton cosmetic pad, cotton balls?

How do you do it? Breathe on it, wipe your skin with it? All of the above?

How do you store it? Baggies, air tight containers?

Where do you store it?

Learning from Tidewater K9, I was told to catch a number slightly lower than what you want your dog to alert you at. If you wanted an alert at 80mg/dl - 4.4 mmol/l you'd make the scent samples at 75mg/dl - 4.2 mmol/l.

You're going to need gauze pads, hemostats, and airtight bags. When you catch the number, you are to use hemostats to pick up a small gauze pad and begin to chew on it until it is completely saturated in saliva (this is not a fun experience... especially when you're low). Use the hemostats to take the gauze out of your mouth, proceed to double bag the sample, and freeze it. You can make a few at a time to keep for up to 3 weeks maximum... when you want to use them as scent samples remove one from the freezer (keep double bagged) and let it thaw for a few hours. Once thawed use the hemostats to put the sample you'll use for maybe a day or two into an airtight container. They recommend using a test strip bottle to contain the sample because it is a good size and is pretty air tight.

This is my basic understanding of making a scent sample.

Thank you so much! Mary McNeight has GREAT videos on ServiceDog Academy's Channel on YouTube. She explains how to make a training chain - different actions such as sniff scent sample; alert; bow down for low; raise paw for high, etc. She explains how to train the dog on each component and then put them together.

McNeight also has videos concerning air flight travel with your service dog, among other subjects.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHFs Newest Board Member: Andreas Stuhr

We are pleased to announce our newest board member Dr. Andreas Stuhr, Senior Medical director in Medical Diabetes for Sanofi North America. Dr. Stuhr has a phenomenal background in diabetes care including a medical focus in pediatric endocrinology and Read on! →

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service