Hi I am in the process of being diagnosed and currently labeled Type II. My BG numbers are controlled (high end of normal and sometimes over) by Diet and Exercise. I am nursing my baby and was given a diet with too many carbs by RD (Too many meaning it drives my BG too high). They put me on a diet 45cb 30cb 45cb 30cb 45cb 30cb...woaaaa I know. So I can tolerate 0 at breakfast (dawn phenom. or hormonal?)so I just eat eggbeaters. Then cut back on meals a 10-15 here and there. Do I have to have an evening snack?. Do any of you have suggestions? When do I get enough carbs or too little to make milk ? I supplement two bottles a day as I did with my other daughters without this diet. Any similar situations out there??

Views: 26

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dawn!

If you are controling with diet and exercise, then there is little risk of your blood sugars going low... so you don't need to worry about extra carbs to prevent lows. So skipping a snack should be good for your blood sugar (generally).

But I don't know the answer about how many carbs are necessary for breast feeding. How many are non-diabetic women supposed to eat?

I hope that others can answer your question!! Also, check out the Oh Baby group.

Has your doctor tested to see if you are type 1.5/ LADA?
Thanks Kristin,

I don't know how many carbs. non-D's are suppose to eat, I'll look into that.

I am waiting to get diagnosed, but I've been reading LADA stuff on the website very interesting. I couldn't get into endo. for two months so I'll know more in April... Any test suggestions for them?
The tests you should have will test your insulin production (c-peptide test) and test for antibodies to see if you have an autoimmune reaction taking place (the most common test is GAD antibodies, but there are more).

The reason that these are important is that type 2's usually face insulin resistance (meaning they have insulin, but it doesn't work effectively). Type 1's have an autoimmune reaction that causes little or no insulin production-- so they will always need to inject insulin. Type 1.5 also has an autoimmune reaction, but it seems to be slower than the case with type 1's. So type 1.5 can maintain some insulin production for years, but don't produce enough insulin and usually need to inject some insulin.

So the c-peptide and the GAD antibodies are the two most common. They are not foolproof, but it would be good to request them. Diagnosing the type of diabetes can sometime be quite challenging!!
Hi Dawn that is hard cause if you were on insulin you could cover the carbs but you need them for breast milk I believe. Not at a huge ratio but when my daughter who is not diabetic was given her diet for breast feeding I she was told about 60 carbs per meal she was also trying to lose weight. Maybe you can modify it to 40 then eat smaller amounts during the day. I am not sure I wish I had a for sure answer for you.
Hope you find a solution be well and be loved
I don't believe it's carbs that matter in milk-making: it's calories. And it's actually a very low number of calories that you need. So basically, I really don't think you have to worry. Your body puts milk-making for your baby as one of its very highest priorities, so you'd have to be on a starvation diet to affect the quality of your baby's milk. But maybe these RDs are suggesting a higher ratio because that's generally easiest/fastest for a mom's body when she's making milk...carbs are an easy energy source, ya know?

If you're worried about your milk supply and feel like you might be having a harder time keeping that up, I'd suggest taking a supplement, like they have Mother's Milk teas and tinctures and such, that might help. But also, talk to a lactation consultant, or better, talk FREE with a La Leche League leader. They always have resources for nursing questions like this.

Of course, there aren't a ton of resources out there specifically dealing with nursing and diabetes--but that's why we have to share our experiences--we have to write the book ourselves! I have had a lot of experience with diabetes and nursing issues so feel free to message me if you'd like. Just wanted to be supportive and say you can do it! You should probably explain to your RD that you can't deal with that many carbs, but remember that if they worry about your milk that it's mostly CALORIES that count, and that number is pretty low, as in, you need 1200 calories...not a lot! I think they just worry about people who aren't eating a well-balanced diet, which I'm sure you're already trying to do for your health anyway. =)

Oh, also, for general nursing info, I love kellymom.com. You could find answers to most any nursing question there, and it definitely discusses healthy diets for nursing moms and nursing and chronic diseases and stuff like that. Best of luck~
Wow I really appreciate your response! I have cut down on some carbs on my own and seem to be making enough milk and managing my BG numbers a little better! I am so grateful for this site where we all can connect and share! Your support and info. is just what I needed!! Thanks a million!
I've been exercising most days and eating a very balanced diet!

~Smiles
Dawn
Okay, so I was curious exactly how to answer your question, so I took my own advice and went to Kellymom, and here's what she said. Basically, a low-carb diet CAN cause milk supply to go down (which is of course not the same as not having ANY milk) but it's likely NOT the amount of carbs as much as other factors Obviously some of the content will not apply to you as it's from a discussion of dieting to lose weight, but it's still helpful, I think, reassuring that you shouldn't really have too much trouble if you follow some common-sense rules like getting plenty of water to drink.

From Kellymom:

Low carb diets and breastfeeding

By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

High protein, low carbohydrate diets like the Atkins diet and the South Beach diet are very popular. These diets can be helpful for diabetics and people with gluten intolerance. In these diets, protein and high fat foods are not restricted; vegetables are limited. The main difference between Atkins and South Beach seems to be that the South Beach diet is less structured and emphasizes eating healthier, mostly unsaturated fats.

The primary objections I've seen to these and similar diets -- and this applies to everyone, not just nursing mothers -- is simply the fact that they are not balanced and thus have the potential to make you feel unwell. These diets tend to be low in phytochemicals, antioxidants and folic acid. They also tend to be low in fiber and minerals (including calcium, magnesium, phosphorus & potassium), and the Atkins diet may be high in saturated fats. Because of this, long-term adherence to these diets may increase your risk for various health problems. Since some of the weight loss from these diets is simply due to water loss, dehydration is a risk if the dieter is not careful to drink plenty of water.

Some moms have found that very low carb diets decrease milk supply. Going off the diet generally brings milk volume right back up again.

This decrease in milk supply may be due to several factors:

* Dehydration.
* The sudden decrease in calories when mom goes on the diet. If a woman is used to a certain level of calories, an abrupt drop due to dieting (or illness) may reduce her milk supply. This sudden decrease in calories can tell mom's body that she is in "starvation mode" and to conserve on all fronts (thus less of her body's resources go into making milk).
* Insufficient caloric intake. With a low carb diet, many people are not nearly as hungry -- so even if you are eating to hunger, you may not be taking in enough calories to sustain a good milk supply (recommended 1800+ calories per day for the average nursing mother). Food records indicate that people following the Atkins diet self-restrict their caloric intake to less than 1700 calories per day.

Some tips for moms who wish to try a low-carb diet:

* Wait until baby is at least 2 months old before dieting; waiting until after baby starts solids (6+ months) should be even better.
* Drink enough water to avoid dehydration.
* Avoid a sudden decrease in caloric intake. Start gradually.
* Keep an eye on your caloric intake. Most moms should avoid dropping below 1800 calories per day.
* Most sources recommend that nursing mothers avoid Phase I of the diet, and instead start with Phase II.
* Watch for a diminished milk supply. Keep an eye on baby's diaper output and weight gain.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service