Hi Everyone,
I am looking for suggestions on alternate sites for my CGM. I am starting to have more issues with irritation at the site and also a few really bad bleeders. I am using the Medtronic CGM with the Revel 723. I am only using the upper abdomen (above the waistline) for the CGM. I use the lower abdomen (below the waistline) for the infusion site. I have started using the lower back for the infusions sets, but only if it is with the 6mm cannula. The CGM area sometimes will get irritated if it is too close to the pants/waistline; also it can get irritated if I am sitting for a long time and the bra will nudge it. I am 5'4, 155 lbs and top heavy-this has made jogging harder depending on how the CGM is feeling that day. I have even had the sensor come out when I'm on the treadmill. Is anyone else having similar issues?? I've tried changing my workout to accomodate my sensor problems but I am getting really frustrated with it. I'm not sure where else to put the CGM. The infusion set gets first priority, but with site irritation and healing time, I am running out of tummy room! I've seen some posts where people have used their arms and legs, but I think that they are using the Dexcom, not the Medtronic/Guardian CGM.

Any suggestions?

HELP!!!!!

Views: 428

Replies to This Discussion

I use the Metronic CGM too. Let me see if I can explain where I usually put mine: If you put your hand on the top of your hip bone, then go about an inch up, then move to the back side. I guess that would be the back side of a love handle? It ends up being just above where my pants hit. I bleed a little almost every time, but it's never a gusher. Also, I've never had a painful insertion. Keep in mind that the abdomen is the only area approved by the FDA, so if you need to call Medtronic, they won't be able to help you if you tell them the sensor is in a different spot, although they all know that we use different spots. If they ask, I just tell them it's in my stomach :P
Another spot I haven't tried is the back of my arm. I hear a lot of people have good luck with that, but I would imagine it takes a second person to help with that.
Good luck!

Thanks Dani!
I was wondering-are you able to put the CGM in yourself or does someone help you?

I do it myself in front of a full length mirror. Sometimes, I get a cramp in my back from twisting around like that! :P
My daughter is diabetic also, so I'm thinking about enlisting her help to try my arms.

although I currently use a Dexcom sensor, I have always found my thigh (top and outer) to be the best places for my sensor. I had a MM before switching about 2 years ago. I actually haven't used my stomach for anything in about 2 years (currently on the omnipod to).

The trainer that came out to start me on the CGM suggested using my thighs for my infusion site. When I asked my Endo about it, he said that the absorption would be different and didn't recommend it as a site. I also used my thighs and arms for injections for 35 years so I have a lot of scar tissue build up. Not sure how or if that will affect the CGM readings. Do you ever have issues with your CGM if you are running or doing cardio workouts??

It is surprising to me that your endo recommended that you do not use your thighs. Is it due to scar tissue build up? As for the CGM, I've had zero issues with it while running or doing cardio workouts. In fact, I think it is an essential tool I've come to rely on for all types of exercise (or just walking around the med campus where I work!) When I used the MM sensor I had a really hard time keeping it attached to my body. Unless things have changed, I thought it was one of the poorest designed pieces of diabetes equipment I had ever seen. So basically I decided to switch to the Dexcom and have never looked back since.

My MM CGM is fairly new, and I haven't had any issues keeping it attached, so maybe things have changed. I had to experiment quite a bit with tape, but other than that, things have been great.

My CGM is only 6 months old and coincidentally died (almost to the day) at the end of the warranty. Medtronic agreed to replace it because I had already had issues with it being very inaccurate. I've switched between the IV3000 and Tegaderm tapes and seem to have less irritation with Tegaderm. The attachment issues I had were mainly when I started running and the wire in the sensor itself came out of me (too much jiggle in the tummy area I guess!) when I was running. I've since learned which areas will "jiggle" more and which areas are OK for running. But the entire site itself just gets irritated from the tape itself or will feel sore or bruised if I roll onto the side it's in while sleeping. I'm thinking that maybe using my arm may be my best option at this point.

I love using the fatty part of my upper butt cheek (Dexcom). Works fantastic! I've read others using the Dex have successfuly used the inside of their thigh and back of upper arm. Good luck!

Thanks Annie!

Hey Everyone,
Well, I finally decided to try a new site and I am happy to report that the back of my arm has been a great success. My husband helped me with insertion over the weekend. I got a little worried during the 2 hour warm up-I had a Sensor Warning message. I thought that I had lost the sensor but I decided to wait and see what happened. Around the 2 hour mark it was ready to go. It has been working fine ever since. Fine for me is about a 20 point difference from my meter. I am starting on day three in the arm with no further issues. The best part is that I don't even feel it. The stomach sites were painful most of the time but the arm has been great. I haven't done an injection in my arm since '05 so the arms have had a nice long rest. The stomach area went straight from injections to infusions to infusions AND sensors. Time for a tummy break!

Thanks everyone for your input and support. I would never have tried these new sites without all of your input!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service