Hi Ladies - ok....so I am finally figuring out a pattern here. I am Type 1 for the past 21 months or so.....just over a year on the pump. It seems that the week before my period - I need ALOT more insulin. And not because I am eating more. I adjusted my basal up a bit today....actually created a different basal schedule on my pump. Does anyone else have this happen? If so, do you need twice the amount of insulin than the weeks before? I am giving myself a bolus every hour it seems and I barely go down. I have a dexcom and I watch the trend....and yep! Still going up as I type. Geez....this month seems exceptionally difficult to keep the sugars in control. I heard our hormones can do this but I would love to hear from others what they experience around "that time of the month". Thanks!

Views: 1613

Replies to This Discussion

yes I do. right after 3-4 days of my cycle getting over

Hi Alexandria. Don't worry. Those days of the month bothers all of us. Since u r new to this experience u might find it little difficult in the beginning. But over time u and ur body will get used to it. And ya most important thing is for u to remain stress-free and happy all the time. Being happy brings in a positive energy which helps u deal with everything smoothly.

This is old but I wanted to say I am so glad I found this thread! I have this same issue! About three to four days before my period my sugars are sky high! I have to be so careful during those days, this is how I actually know my period will come within three to four days once the really bad highs start and I am talking 300-400s here. Then the day of my period I drop back down. For the first three days of my period I have to watch overnight because I have high drops overnight I also have awesome day time sugars and don't need to use as much meal time insulin. On those three days of my period I can sometimes get away with eating treats that I don't normally eat. By around day four or five I am starting to get back to my normal sugar levels. I am not on a pump right now so adjusting for my period has been a nightmare. Hopefully next month I will be pumping and once I get the pump figured out I am going to work out this issue! Since this is an old thread how are you doing with it now? Do you have it figured out better or resolved?

So how do you manage to see patterns over months at a time? I haven't managed to track it down to a specific time in my cycle, but as every few weeks seems different it probably is. And what if your cycle is not exact - mine varies between 28-33 days, then how do you know when to start increasing basals (as I do have some random days where my bg is high due to stress/infection or just a wrong bolus calculation).

I was just about to post something asking the same question when i saw this! For the past week my sugars have been high, mainly in the middle of the night starting at around 12am and then I wake up high, which I can see on my dexcom. I noticed that I had a period of highs last month too and I thought I needed more basal overnight, so I bumped it up, but then like a week later it was going low every night so i ended up having to lower the rates again. I can't recall if the lows started after I got my period, but I looked at the calendar today and realized that I'm supposed to get my period in 5 days and here I go again with the highs! Does anyone notice the issue with the overnight highs?

Completely normal. I tend to run high the week before and low the week of.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service