Hey folks!

I just recently purchased Polonsky's book, "Diabetes Burnout," and have enjoyed every minute of it. Have you read this book? Heard of it?

I scored so high on the burnout level, it was so sad! You can just take a look at my a1c and tell I've had just about enough of living with diabetes.

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer or anything, it just helps to know there are others out there facing the same challenges as I am. =)

Views: 493

Replies to This Discussion

Katherine, this is an excellent book and Im very proud to say that Dr. Polonsky used to be my doctor when he practiced at Joslin Diabetes Clinic in Boston, MA. He has helped me so much and I keep in touch with him every so often. He will be so happy to know that his book is a topic in this group!

karen
Karen I have got to get this book!! I am soooo tired and sick of the whole world of diabetes. I will try to start tomorrow with a good attitude. sigh. . .
good luck sandy...ill try too... im feeling discouraged tonight too =(

we can do this together but your tomorrow was friday so i hope you are doing well!

im right behind ya!

I am going through this now...after being diagnosed FIVE days ago. I hate this. I really do.
Yet, I want to live to be a happy healthy 90 year old man...So I guess I have no choice but to just deal with it and get it under absolute control.
I am just sick and tired of trying to find food to eat everyday that won't kill me.

After seeing thing topic, I bought the book for my Kindle and started working through it yesterday. It's intense, and I'm pretty high up on the burnout level. But so far, doing the worksheets has given me some insight into what the problem really is. Most of all I just want my boyfriend and family to read at least the first 2 chapters, just 'cause I can't seem to explain how bad it really is. For the moment, I'm just reading and crying ^^; Thanks so much for mentioning it here so I could find it Katherine!

Real Simple Magazine is running a series on how we all spend our time, i.e., what percentage of the day is devoted to what activities. So I went through the questionnaire, sleeping, working, doing laundry and quickly exceeded 24 hours... They had no category for diabetes chores! Testing, laboriously writing entries in logs, xeroxing logs, faxing same to dr's office, total downtime for low blood sugars, carbohydrate counting, attending dr's appointments,explaining the difference between Type 1 and 2 to friends, family and the public at large, worrying about all of the above...Who has time for work or sleep?

I think what torques me most is the complete lack of freedom I've experienced since I've become too blind to drive and the loss of my career. I had a Lead position with a major production company, and I've had to rely on family to help me get my food and medicine. It completely f'ing sucks.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service