The below was taken from Jim Huck's blog.

"So when I tested, I had to pee in a cup, then mix two drops of the
urine and ten drops of water into a test tube. Then, I added the little
blue pill, and believe me, when they said that pill could cause severe
burns, they weren't kidding. The pill reacted violently with water, so
when you dropped the pill in the test tube, it would immediately
bubble, roil, and boil and heat the liquid to about 200 degrees F.

The liquid would change color. If it was blue, you were negative. If it
was green, you were spilling a small amount of glucose into your urine.
If it turned bright orange, you were most likely peeing honey."

Tags: clinitest, history

Views: 7633

Replies to This Discussion

I remember the PFC means either perseverance, faith, courage or proteins,fats,carbohydrates; although, the general public might have thought private first class. I still have a Camp Sweeney tee-shirt like the ones pictured.
Hey Danny...again I Love your unique and informative Museum.
So many memories.
I just found the brochure from Camp Banting 1961. Not exciting but a bit of our early years. My Mom got rid of everything of our ancient Diabetes equipment unfortunately but I still have the brochure and my Camp Banting t-shirt(yellowed). I'll post a photo when(if) I find it. :D

My older Brother was dxd. in 1955 at the age of 4 and my younger Brother in 1960 at age 4. Me in 1961 at age 3, as you know. . So obviously this is a brochure from my older Brother's time. Camp started at age 9 then. It was changed later to age 8 when I started camp and the price went to $95. in about 1965/66 for 2 weeks for each Child.
Attachments:
YOUR WELCOME DANNY!! :)

Thanks for the convert. It's easier just to click on the ones you put on to see them Better. These were sitting in my Mom's china cabinet drawer where she kept all her recipe books and such. She was cleaning it out and asked if I wanted the brochures. "Sure".

It's Fun looking back. She had sent for this one for my oldest Brother who was 10 y/o in '61. Ya, $50. for 2 weeks eh? Our dollar was worth $0.97(CDN) from July to October 1961. My youngest Bro and I started to camp at age 8-13(1965/66) and the fee went up to $95. for each of us for 2 weeks. They had added cabins and more activities. Oh and Mom always packed each of us more underwear and socks. :D

This is the new fees for 2011(what a difference) and our dollar is worth $1.02.3(CDN):

http://www.diabetes.ca/get-involved/helping-you/camps/ontario/banting/

It has been so long since I've seen clinitest tablets and those test tubes. I don't miss using them at all.

All the hardware steps along with been through have been cute however. Before insulin, all of us type 1 would have ended up like the starved children in the pre-insulin day. That was the best they could do to keep us alive for maybe a year or two. Today we are given life, and a lot of it.

WOW THOSE PHOTOS...I REMEMBER IT ALL...MY PUMP IS WORTH A MILLION...

T 1 SINCE 1936...I WAS NOT YET 3 YEARS OLD...

ALL THIS LOOKS VERY FAMILIAR TO ME.I DID IT ALL SINCE 1936 & THEN STARTED PUMPING IN 2000/

Wow, ok I promise to stop complaining when I don't get enough blood on my test strip and have to test again. The old testing would have been so time consuming...not to mention inaccurate!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service