Hi, and welcome to the Diabetic Artists group. Please share a few things about yourself, so we can get to know you! What's your favorite medium? How has diabetes effected your art? Do you have some images online we can take a look at?

I'm Beth, 27, type 1 for 4 years and counting, and I have an MFA in painting. I mostly use acrylic now to avoid absorption of heavy metals into my skin through oil paint, but I find it MUCH more difficult to work with.

I also do henna now and then :)

You can see some paintings / drawings of mine here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethsobel/sets/72157594575974767/

I'm looking forward to seeing your work! :)

Views: 366

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Beth,
My name is Stephanie Brown, I am doing my BFA painting at the University of BC, Vancouver, Canada.I use acrylic paint all the time, at the moment I am doing research for artists who deal with the theme of diabetes in their artwork. I have read some of Susan Sontag's work on disease but am wondering if there is perhaps another artists or critic that you might have come across who deals directly with Diabetes. . I have had diabetes type 1 for 24 years now I just had my 29th Birthday yesterday:)
Thanks so much for forming this group.
I should have my paintings up soon.

Kind Regards,
Stephanie L Brown
I am Rebekah and I am an aspiring filmaker and writer. I am currently working on a light drama about diabetes (I started a group and a topic about this which you might have seen.)

I joined this group because I feel writing and filmmaking are artforms too.

Of course they are....anything that evokes an emotion is considered an art form in most circles
Eric

my name is lev, and i am a type one (from very strong family genes) and the father of 3 type ones. i have been making stained glass windows for a number of years now, on and off. i am also very interested in photography, not to say that i am that good, of innovative, but i enjoy it. here is the link to the stained glass:
http://www.oakhillkitchen.com/glass.html
And here is the Photos:
http://www.oakhillkitchen.com/Photos.html
scrumptious? when you work in the stuff you get it in your teeth and scrumptious is not really the word that comes to mind... but i am very glad you like it.

I have ALWAYS wanted to do a stained glass piece....unfortunately, the links to your work you provided here took me to an error message. Can you post pics of some of your pieces here?

Hi, I;m Maureen and I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes 2. I have to admit it has completely thrown me and I am without inspiration at present. I am also a textile artist and like to include textiles in some of my paintings.

I'm sorry abput the diagnosis, Maureen...if it makes you feel any better, I've been diabetic since I was 12 in 1978....and I'm still here!
Eric

My name is Paul, aka PJ Redd. I draw things for my RPG games. I'm not great, but I've done some good drawings of characters I've and others have made. Never thought about doing drawings dealing with my diabetes, but may try my hand at it.I did do one associated with depression and may try to put it on here. I'm happy to be able to join and hope to make some aquantinces to talk to.

Hey, everyone!
I was an art director for a production company out of Orlando for a while...studied at Ringling School of Art and Design in Florida and currently living in Knoxville. Unfortunately, I've become too blind to drive, so I was forced to retire. Anyhow, I'll include a few pics of some pieces....
Eric

Attachments:

Thank you for the welcome, Judith :)

Acrylics, definitely the way to go....a 5 minute dry time as opposed to waiting a week for oils to dry? No thanx!
Eric

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service