One of my sparkpeople friends,told my something that I didn't think of,she said that you have to be very careful with what your eating as a vegetarian.Because you can gain weight by eating to much(bread,pasta,beans,rice) if your not eating vegetables and not doing any exercise you will gain weight.

Views: 85

Replies to This Discussion

Ha ha ha. Yeah, and failing to eat vegetables and not exercising makes you gain weight as a carnivore too. It's funny that she worries that vegetarians will be prone to eating fewer vegetables.

Obviously this is true and it's true for anyone. Vegetarians should be mindful of protein, but as diabetics we are mindful of our meal balance anyway. The benefit of being a vegetarian is that you are getting protein sources with fiber; always a plus for diabetics. My endocrine was thrilled when I told her I was vegetarian.
You could say the same thing about non-vegetarians' diets too! The thing with a vegetarian diet is that one food group is being omitted and this could lead to overconsumption of the other food groups to compensate for that (e.g eating lots of full fat dairy like milk or cheese to replace meats) or filling up the empty spot on your plate with pasta or rice. The key thing with any diet is to make sure it's balanced and you're getting the nutrients you need without excess fat, sugar, salt.
I have been struggling as well not to gain weight. I lost 40 pounds at diagnosis of type 1 but have gained 10 back in the last 2 years which I don't like. When I was first diagnosed I claimed I didn't need to change my diet as I "ate healthy" - vegetarian, no sugar, no processed foods. But I ate lots of pasta and rice. I no longer do that but I do eat a lot of cheese, besides loving good cheese I find it an important source of protein in my diet. Not sure what the alternative to this is.

I suppose you need to use cheese as a condiment and not a staple. So, you sprinkle a little on instead of chowing down on wedges...Dare I say, weigh and measure?

Either that, or go vegan.

Cheese is a staple of my diet. I find it pretty hard to find protein sources that are also low/no carbs. I have found that it's both calories AND insulin that make me gain weight, so I try and cut both. I've finally started to lose weight since this post was written but it's not easy. For me remaining a vegetarian, keeping my carbs down, eating healthy, fresh foods, finding recipes that satisfy my foodie tastes, and eliminating foods that are bad for my acid reflux is all a major balancing act. I recently cut out nut butter which I loved and was a good source of protein but way too caloric. Personally, I'm not interested in going vegan as I already have way too few foods I can eat. I don't care much for "substitute foods" but have added a couple: almond milk and vegie sausage.

Have you tried 'textured soy protein'? It's what veggie sausage is made of, but can be bought in unflavored little pellets. Bob's Red Mill sells it in smallish bags. I make spaghetti and chili with them and they can fool a true carnivore. The advantage is that they pick up the flavor of the sauce and aren't pre-flavored. It's low calorie, has little fat and no sodium before you flavor it. Four bucks for a small bag of it.

Thanks, but not my thing. I never really understood "fake meat" as I don't care for the taste of meat. I'm a gourmet cook so I give things taste using fresh herbs and seasonings. I just eat the vegie sausage to have something else a bit solid to eat with my eggs. I don't like most of the substitute foods that many vegetarians and diabetics eat. I prefer natural fresh foods. But thanks for the suggestion. I don't eat spaghetti or chili due to the carbs. I guess we're all different.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service