Hi All You Lo Carbers!
I absolutely love Dr. B's philosophy! I'm T1 x almost 20 years, a new pumper, and the law of small numbers is certainly a no-brainer. I was eating less than 30 carbs a day for 2 mos and, in my ignorance, I ate mostly fatty meats. My total cholesterol and LDL went off the charts and then my doc clued me in to eating leaner meats, which I do now.
But even so, my TC and LDL are still higher than I'd like. I am unwilling to start statins.
Dr. B assures us that his own lipids are very low and ours will be too. In this group, I see that members eat meat and cheese, just like Dr. B recommends. I've read that only about 30% of high cholesterol is caused by diet; that there is a genetic component. Can you share your experiences with low carb diets and resulting high lipids?
To be honest, a low carb plant based diet sounds just to awful to me, so I can't consider nuts and spinach only. I love the eggs, cheese, chix, turkey etc too much.
Help!
Cindy
p.s. Yesterday my new endo looked at my pump reports and suggested I am not eating enuf carbs. I am very thin and she must have taken that into the equation too. That was predictable, wasn't it?! Wait til she sees my lipid values!

Views: 329

Replies to This Discussion

Yelsoma, your comments are VERY helpful to me. I like your adherence to the "spirit" rather than "letter" of the law of small numbers. My blood sugar roller coaster has flattened out considerably between the pump and lo carb. In fact, like others I've read about, I'm losing even my desire for empty sugar spikes. It's funny, I kind of physically recoil when offered something carby by an unsuspecting friend. I've got to put a lid on that reaction!
After all, my friend was only being generous with a plate of cookies, and I reacted like she was handing me dynamite (which of course she was! :) )
Green veggied to the hilt,
Cindy

I sometimes have the urge to blurt out "That's poison", but then remember, its not poison to them:) Definitely something that must suppressed because, as you say, they're only trying to be nice.

Thank you, Cindy, for your kind remarks. It's interesting that you now don't even want the sugary foods. Before I went into diabetic mode, (quite suddenly, according to the doctors), I now know that I began to acquire a sweet tooth, although I had not had one previously. I was under stress, and have been told that one often craves sweets when under stress. Like you, if I now have something quite sweet, something I would have enjoyed BD (Before Diabetes), it seems sickly sweet! So we do acquire (or reestablish) more natural taste buds.

Sugar consumption keeps rising, year on year - I can't remember the statistics I recently read. There has been (as we know, mistakenly) a campaign against fat for decades - how about a campaign against sugar?!

Hi,
It sounds like you may have read Gary Taubes' Big Fat Lie article or his books. Of course Dr. B references his work too. I was really blown away when I learned the science re insulin and sugar spikes! My husband lost 16 lbs in 3 weeks after we learned how the body makes fat.
Cindy

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service