I wasn't sure where to post this question. I'm not diagnosed diabetic, but I do have BG spikes up to 250 with carbs; my fasting numbers are good. I've put myself on a low carb diet. I used to be able to tell when I'm spiking due to thirst. However, I'm finding that is not always the case anyore. Anyway, I use a little sugar with my coffee every morning. I never metered for this because I never felt thirsty. I've been exsperiencing lots muscle fasciculations lately (I have peripheral neuropathy and maybe this is part of that?) and in trying to target what the cause is, I metered after coffee today and discovered a 50 point spike, which isn't a big deal as my BG's come down on their own. My morning coffee is truly the highlight of my day! I've had to cut out so many foods, coffee is one of my only dietary pleasures left so I really don't want to change it. But, if someone knows of an alternative that tastes just like sugar, I would switch. Thanks in advance for any input. As info, I am not Type 1, 1.5 or 2. I am being tested for MODY, but it could be I just have weird carb metabolism.

Views: 248

Replies to This Discussion

According to Dr. B, the only sweetener that doesn't have added fillers with hidden carbs is pure Stevia powder (not any of the commercial granulated brands, which contain sugar alcohols, and have carbs and almost as high glycemic index as sugar). Also check out Dr. Menendez' glycemic index website, as he reviews all the sweeteners, and he is a low-carb diabetic. But there is a newer sweetener made from fruit called Erythritol, which has no carbs and no calories, and tastes really good. It's slightly less sweet than sugar, but looks just like it and you can cook with it just like sugar. I bought some online from Amazon -- it's made by NOW foods, and is a bit expensive, but worth it to me.

Truvia's now made with stevia & erythritol. Erythritol is good combined with stevia or Splenda because it's not very sweet, expensive & has a cooling effect. Liquid Splenda has zero carbs.

Erythritol is made from fermented glucose.

http://store.xylitolusa.com/categories/Erythritol-Sweetener/ has good prices.

Good to know, thanks!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service