I am about to embark on 4 transatlantic flights within 3 weeks, so am anxious about food.
I am following Dr B's diet.
I am concerned about the food on board - a diabetic option is not exactly offered, and even if it was I'd bet there'll be all kinds of breads, croissants etc. Incidentally I chose the vegetarian with dairy option - which I am already regretting.
Because it is from Los Angeles to London there are security checks galore... I know that liquids are an issue  But what about food? can I take food onto an International flight with me?
The flights are at least 11 hours long - and i worry about my sugar falling or rising due to NOT eating properly.
I would welcome any suggestions.
I did think of bringing tins of sardines on with me, but can you imagine how p***ed the other passengers would be at the SMELL?
I don't know what's worse: low blood sugar or the wrath of 100 Brits glaring at me for 11 hours!
help!

Views: 98

Replies to This Discussion

I bring food along & never had a problem. Not the most exciting fare, but I take cheese, nuts, sliced meat & low carb muffins that I make. I request the flight attendants refigerate the food.
Thank you so much
Forget the diet...you won't suffer that much on the flights, coming or going. Pack some fruit (apple slices, dried fruit), cheese, crackers that will be easy to get to. I keep Glucerna bars (Snack & Meal) in my purse at all times, along with Glucose Tabs. I'm surprised you weren't offered a diabetic diet; it's usually a choice and is the tastiest of all. You CAN get off the diet for a few hours and then when you reach your destination, get back on it and most likely, you'll be walking a lot. Just have fun!!
Cheers, Margaret (T1 for 39 years)
Thank you so much - great advice! I will look into a diabetic option - flying Virgin - but think I'll be bringing food on board.
I love Brits!!!!! thank you
Bring glucose tabs in case you are too low. Eat a high fat meal before boarding the plane. If your order comes with carbs don't eat them. Just eat the protien porton. Bring cheese and nuts. Stick with that and check your BS twice as often. Be sure to calculate your meds according to the change in time zone. You will survive 11 hours on a flight if you have just eaten and bring snacks. Just because they serve it doesn't mean you have to eat it.
thanks for bothering to reply to my questions!
Have flown back and forth five times to Europe. Excellent suggestions so far. I always bring my own food. Protein, like, turkey slices, cheese,( the cheese sticks individually wrapped) boiled eggs, As far as changing dosages for insulin, you did not say your medications , if any. I always carry GU chomps for low blood sugar, and test every two hours minimum, sometimes every 45 minutes. I know that sounds like a lot but I would rather be safe . The airline will give you beverages.
London is a really cool place. I loved visiting the Old Bailey. Got to watch a trial which was amazing. A busman's holiday for me, and I loved the touristy things as well. The subway system is amazing, as are the cabs. Have a great time.
Thank you so much! Great suggestions - and I am intrigued by the Old bailey suggestion; I didn't know you could just walk in! Thank you!
You might see if you can get a gluten free diabetic diet. The gluten free will remove any wheat, etc. Just an idea.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service