I just started on an S9 VPAP Auto. I noticed there were some interesting trends between my CGM and my overnight AHI when I took my data card to my DME for "insurace" readings. Something about the machine must record I am using it for insurance to pay for the "rent to purchase" of the S9.

Now the BIG PICTURE. I wear an Animas Ping and a Dexcom 7+. I use all of the software to keep a current data picture of were I have been in my sugar and insulin battle. After discussing the trend with my endocrinologist, my SDB (Sleep Disordered Breathing) doc wrote a prescription for ResScan software for me to monitor and report trends. GREAT. Now it appears ResMed is going to sandbag the "physician's order" because I am not a "registered sleep therapist"

Thoughts gang?

Tags: data, software, trends

Views: 145

Replies to This Discussion

Long time ago, ResMed didn't think the end user need to have access to the software. They had thought that it is only to be used for the doctors office. I had gotten my hands on the software, I had purchased it. If you would like I can place on my server and you can down load it. I use it alot of the time and when I go in to see sleep doc, I print out reports.

You can download the resmed program at:

http://myweb.cableone.net/cpeterson76/Programs/ResMed.rar

I understand ResScan is available from the "black market". What ground swell I am trying to get raised is ResMed and the entire Sleep Disordered Breathing Treatment Profession and its ancillaries is trying to keep a closed shop. This needs to stop. Companies state they are only following FDA, but where the problem comes is the companies are only requesting a continuation of closed shop and the FDA blesses the continuation of closed shop. Therefore, the companies are complying with FDA regulations that they (the sleep equipment companies requested their equipment fall under).

We can adjust our diabetic management equipment based on software data analysis by the patient in concert with the prescriber. So why the hell can we not get the same treatment in our SDB equipment and software?

This is standard. The manufacturers and the DMEs have agreements which prohibit manufacturers from dealing directly with endusers. The DMEs use the excuse that the FDA will not permit the end user any software that allows the user to change settings. It's a cabal. The only alternative is to get your doctor to order the software and give it to you. Many times the software is free to the doctor. I went through all this with Resprironics. Because the software is not available through ordinary channels, pirated copies are offered on the internet. Beware of these as many are traps to deliver viruses and other malware.

Easy. You can get the same software from here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Private-Files-and-Links

I *think* that will allow you to access that section of the site. If not, let me know. I tried to log out to see if it was available and it wouldn't log me out. If that doesn't work, try this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-ResScan-CPAP-Reporti...

You might have to join the forum to get it but he never shares email addresses of members.

You can also download and use the open source SleepyHead software. There's a link to it at the same place as above. (or if the link doesn't work, just do a Google search for it)

Apneaboard is allowed to distribute the software because of it's educational purpose. CPAP manufacturers, for some stupid reason, do not want users to have the software. We aren't even informed how to change our own pressure settings. We are to be compliant sheep. I am not surprised you were not allowed to get it. You won't be able to unless you obtain it from a 3rd party such as ApneaBoard or elsewhere.

We are allowed to get a month's worth of prescriptions and are allowed to medicate ourselves following the directions on the bottle. If we screw up and over or under dose, we can kill ourselves. Yet we are not allowed the information to set our own CPAP machines which runs a very, very low risk of negative health issues. NOT using it runs a much bigger one. Too many times docs set a beginners pressure at a high level then are surprised they won't use it. It would be much better to show them how to raise it themselves. One week on 7, one week on 8, etc until they reach the prescribed pressure.

The CPAP industry seems to be a racket which is a shame.

Gentlemen, I believe we all get the drift. My big beef is the diabetes world encourages patient involvement but the SDB (Sleep Disordered Breathing) world is like the world of medicine 70 years ago. In the 1960 & 70's, I remember a health care instructor eating one of my classmates a new one for allowing a lay person to "borrow" a textbook over a weekend to learn more about a condition. Bottom line, I have now involved Federal Blue Cross Blue Shield's patient nurse advocate in the battle. Getting the software is no problem. The problem is getting the Respronics and ResMeds etc to give the software out the front door and to stop crying FDA, contracts, and other sidesteps to prevent issuing the software.

Let us know how it goes.

The problem is, most companies don't want you to have too much control or knowledge as they want you to pay the doctor for all that... in the early days it was very hard to get software for our meters too... :(

Well, gang, ResScan3.16 disk is in my possession and installed. The rep in my neighborhood came through after my SDB doctor wrote a prescription for home use to compare sleep patterns to blood sugar patterns.
FINDINGS: There is an inverse correlation between overnight AHI as reported to ResScan 3.16 and Sleepyhead when compared to morning fingerstick and Dexcom 7+ average. So, if AHI is high, blood sugar measurements are low and the opposite is true.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, Tudiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service