I recently had a sleep study, and am waiting on the doc to get me a prescription for a cpap machine. Before the sleep study my doctor had me do an overnight O2 test and at times would drop to under 75%. Would this be concidered to be severe or just minor?

Views: 186

Replies to This Discussion

I've been T2 since 1998 and have been dealing with CSA for several years. My O2 levels can drop as low as 45% if I'm not using my machine, but OSA is different than CSA... I hope you get your machine and learn to sleep with it quickly! I'm going to guess your OSA is moderately severe...

Any O2 below 90 is a concern.

What are the results from the sleep study?

And see if you can get a machine that records data, not just compliance information (which is useless).

Yes, that would be detrimental. If you lungs consistently don't get enough oxygen it causes them to starve for oxygen in order to work, and they become "leathery" which causes more lack of oxygen. Lack of oxygen in your lungs causes less oxygen to your blood which causes less oxygen to each cell in your body, your brain, your heart, and your kidneys, causing each one to have to work harder and without enough oxygen your body produces lactic acid. (That's why if you were running hard and long, your legs would begin burn as your muscles needed more and more oxygen which your constant running wouldn't allow it to get enough, so the burning is because of the lactic acid build up.)

It is important to EVERY part of your body to get enough oxygen in order to function properly. That's why it is SOOOO important to get used to your sleep apnea machine as quickly as possible. Believe me it WORKS and you will start to feel better almost immediately!

I agree with Paula about a DATA RECORDING machine. Mine doesn't have a card of ANY kind, and it will be two more years before I can get a new one....and so my data is not available. I THINK Medicare now REQUIRES a data card, not just a compliance card.Some insurance companies may also require a data card.

No, Medicare does not. I wish they would. I have the S9 Escape because I was told it collects data. I didn't do my research ahead of time. The data is collects is how long the machine was on. It doesn't say how long the machine was on while I was wearing it so the compliance data is useless. If I cannot "upgrade" it I will buy another one out of pocket in January.

I have not gotten the actual results back yet. It may take a couple of weeks. I was told the report will be several hundred pages. I do know that I was put on the cpap machine at 1:30 am and woke up at 6:30 and I had quite a bit of energy all day up untill about 4:30pm when I started to feel tired.

The night of my first sleep study I got 3 hours of sleep with the machine and I felt better the next morning than I had in 10 years! !!!!!! More energy and less head aches. Now if I were to try to sleep without the machine I will wake up with a head ache right between my eyes. I am THE most motivated patient I think there is! LOL

There are some basic information that you need for your own records. Your sleep doc will probably give you the numbers and be sure to write them down. These numbers are as important as your glucose counts!

just to make sure you know the terms:
apnea - where you stop breathing
hypopnea - where you have shallow breathing
OSA - obstructive sleep apnea - this is when the throat closes
CSA - central sleep apnea - this is a brain thing where the brain does not tell you to breath
mixed SA - some people have a both OSA and CSA. it is common for those with OSA to have central events when first using CPAP. they go away in a short time as the brain and body adjust
arousals - where you are either awakened or nearly awakened

AHI - the apnea-hypopnea index - they take the total number of events and divide it by the number of hours the test took. So if you had 600 events over 6 hours that would be an AHI of 100
AI - the same thing but just with apnea
HI - ditto but just with hypopneas

You'll want to know what your AHI was for sure.
Knowing the lowest O2 during the test is also helpful.
Ask if you had any leg/body movement. This is quite common as your brain is trying to wake you up so you'll breathe.

If you have good insurance and/or can afford it, ask for an auto-CPAP. Using the data from the machine, you can find out what the pressure of the machine set itself to. It can detect apneas and hyponeas as well as if they were OSA or CSA events. Some docs don't like auto-PAPs for various reasons. Regardless, you do want one that collects more than compliance data.

The thing is with sleep apnea market, the patient is considered too much an idiot to understand their condition. We aren't allowed to have the access to the clinical menus of the machines. Often we aren't even told what the test results are! Can you imagine if your glucose meter gathered all your test results for you but you had no idea what they were? And once a year or so, you took the memory card to the doc who told you how to adjust your medication? That's how sleep apnea system works currently. However, there are ways to gain control of your own health.

There's a free software that helps to read the data on the card. Do a Google search for SleepyHead.
You can also get directions on how to access the clinician's menu on the machine. This is helpful for if you are having difficulty adjusting to the pressure and would like to instead start lower and slowly increase. You can get that information here:
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Apnea_Board/pages/cpap-manuals/

The Apnea Board is a wonderful place.
http://apneaboard.com/

Paula, you are a found of information!!!!

I know, sigh. Disgusting, aren't I? ROFLMAO

Nah, actually it is good to me to see a patient who is educated about their problems...many problems with health are "do it yourself" fixes....the health care provider can only educate the patient on how to take care of themselves. Actually diabetes is one of those health issues that the PATIENT has to be the "team" and the health care professional only the "coach" I think that sleep apnea is one of those things too....the patient has to know the hows and the whys so they can monitor their own progress etc. and unfortunately the health care professionals seem to want to keep the information FROM the patient rather than educate them. Even as a (retired) Registered Nurse Practitioner my medical professionals try to it seems treat me like a retarded child....I don't like it one bit and intend to change providers if I don't get some different attitude next office visit.

I AM an ASSERTIVE patient. (some folks would say arse-hole!) ROTFLMAO

Thanks for all the Info guys! I will report back when I get some results from the doc. Just got back from the surgeon. I jave an apointment for the first carpel tunnel surgery for the 4th of Jan so pray for me please! Also trying to get a pump after the first of the year also! Nothing like trying to fix all my problems at once! HA HA HA

Carpal tunnel isn't too bad. I had mine done both at the same time so I could go back to work quickly in April of 2004, I worked weekends only, so couldn't take off much time....for the first couple of days I couldn't use my finger tips which stuck outside of the hand/arm bandage, but after a couple of days I could feed myself and only required minimal assistance with my "activities of daily living" and went back to work the third weekend with the splints on my wrists and since my job was supervisory and all I had to do was limited typing I made it just fine. Good luck!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service