I am using an insulin pump that I got in the USA and I will need to get my next pump in Hungary. Here we have Animas 1200, Disetronic H-TRONplus, and Medtronic Minimed Paradigm 512/712. With all of these pumps, the model available is behind the one in the USA. BUT the price is 10% of the USA price (because it is subsidized by the government).

Does anyone have experience getting a pump in Europe? What type? How much did it cost?

Tags: Europe, pump

Views: 142

Replies to This Discussion

I've got a Cozmo although I'll probably change that sometime this year. In France the social security system covers 100% of all diabetics needs. Registered diabetic patients with a social security number don't pay for anything, except of course through normal contributions to the state system if you work and pay taxes.

The "Secu" here hires the pump, pretty much the model of of your choice from an independant supplier called a "prestataire" who deals with the actual pump company. The hired pumps are new, boxed, and the prestataires who have specially trained nurses handle 24h support for everything, including infusion sets, inserters, even batteries, etc.

Insulin and test strips/meters etc come from the local pharmacy and are also 100% covered. I had a small problem with my pump a few months ago and within a couple of hours of calling the prestataire I was able to swap for another brand new one from their stock.

I didn't come to this country for the health system, I discovered it after arrival but I count myself very lucky to be here now!
Hi there from me too. As i have written already i am from Bulgaria and i dont feel much luckyabout that, having in mind that i have to pay all my cost in relation with my insulin pump. I have Minimed 722 for almost 2,5 years and i'm very happy with it. First my god-mother insisted to check in interned for any innovations in the diabetes' treatment and i found the insulin pumps. I tried to contact anyone from the Minimed or Medtronic company using their site just to tell me if there is an representative in Bulgaria but no one answered. After 3-4 days opening every single website containg insulin pump in google i found the Bulgarian reps. Getting the money for them was the easiest part but after that it was a small nightmare. Thank God i am smart and have learn Egnlish very well in High School and was able to read all available information about the pumps on the manufacturer's website and unfortunately for the representative when i went to the capital to take the pump i knew thousand thing more for the insulin pumps than he does.
With reading and trying everything on my own body i have found all the positive features the pump offers. I am still helping to any new diabetic from my town who get a pump, just because i know how hard it is if no one can help you.
Here we dont have any 24h assistance, you can call to the representative but it will not help you much.
I am willing to find a county that covers all my expenses for my diabetes treatment and study my master degree there because only i know how hard this is for my family.
Kristin if you are wondering which model to choose explore all the features each pump offers and try to decide what you want. of you have any other questions fell free to ask
P.s. Paul where do you live?
Hrisi
Glad to hear that you were able to learn so much about the pump Hristina! It must have been difficult. Do you know about the book "Pumping Insulin". It is a great guide and I am thinking to translate it to Hungarian because there is so little information about the pump available in Hungary. If you give me your address (in a private message), I could send you a copy later this year.

I got the Minimed pump (Paradigm 722) in Hungary. If you belong to the national insurance here, then the government pays for 85% of the pump and pump supplies.

I am a student at Central European University. If you are interested in social science, you should apply. We have many students from Bulgaria! :)
Hi Kristin,
right after i posted the text i saw in other discussion that you have already a pump :P
I think in Hungary is the center for insulin pump in Europe, there is the main office and maybe there is a factory too. Tell mo more about the book pls. Is it in English and who is the author?
I hope some day the Bulgarian government to cover part of the expenses but we will see :)
If it not a too private question how much do you have to pay more? i mean what is the price for a box of quick sets and reservoirs in Hungary.Here in November we got a raise of the price with about 10 E for the sets having in mind that we are in a time of crisis i wasn't very happy.
Does the insurance cover also the Transmitter and the sensors or not?
i will have a look at the
Yes, there is a central office here in Budapest. The insurance only covers the pump, not the sensor.

I will look up the prices that I pay and post them later.

The book is in English and it is writte by John Walsh. Click here to read more about it. You can also read a lot of information by looking in the menu on the left side.
I have 10 needles and 5 reservoirs per month for free. But each pack of 5 reservoirs cost 18 euros and each pack of 10 needles cost 100 euros. I have to buy it one per year, because the ones that I receive for free are not enough. It is easy to lose one needle, specially in the summer, on the beach or in the pool. The Roche has a very good contact center, although is not 24h per day, but my clinic has a 24 hours phone number exclusivelly fou insulin pumpers. They are great. www.apdp.pt
When I ask for something from Roche, I receive it in the day after and it comes from their warehouse in Spain.
Hi, Hrisi!
I'm also from Bulgaria. I live in Austria and had been diagnosed here in 2007. I'm studying here and next year hopefully will finish my studies. I'm a pump user - Minimed Paradigm 722. The health insurance here is incredibly cheap for students (no idea how it if you start working). I could tell from my own experience that you get really everything that you need - all supplies and medical attention. There is nothing that I have to buy additionally. And you have 24h assistance from Medtronic. Once something went wrong with my pump - the buttons weren't functioning and it started beeping terribly. I called the hotline from medtronic and only 1 hour after that there was a guy with a new pump on my door. I was more than happy.
I don't know if you have started your master degree already, but if you have I hope that it's in a nice country where you feel fine! :)
I have a pump that was 100% subsidized by the government. It is the Accu-check Spirit. All supplies are also free. But in Portugal, only 100 pumps were given by the government. I had no choice on the brand. I got this and I am extremelly lucky.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service